1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Greater NOIDA to Mumbai

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by johnny, Oct 31, 2011.

1. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @shikar,

I have sent you a PM with some additional inputs.

Regards
    Johnny
  2. @Johnny Sir!!!
    Thanks alot sir.. really really appreciate it!!!
  3. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    We got back to Greater NOIDA on 29 Aug by late noon. The idea of this post is to give a route update for those planning this trip. I am covering the update for the north bound trip. Those planning a south bound trip will have to keep this point in mind. Since most of the route is four lane, the road conditions could vary for the North/South bound.

I did the trip in three legs: Mumbai to Gandhinagar, Gandhinagar to Nasirabad, Nasirabad to Greater NOIDA.

Leg 1: Mumbai to Gandhinagar.

We started by 0530 AM. This permitted us to clear Mumbai within about 35 mins. Close to Mumbai there are two flyovers under construction. The diversion roads are good - not really a problem. The first problem comes up at Bharuch bridge. A small explanation will help understand the problem. There are in fact two bridges both two lane - the Western bridge is capable of handling all traffic, whereas, the Eastern bridge is for light vehicles only. This time the police was trying to streamline traffic by diverting cars to the Eastern bridge. There are two more problem areas: immediately north of the bridges is the tool booth, with the usual anarchy with all the trucks, and about 500 m north of that is a traffic intersection. So, all this adds up to a major backlog, which seems inescapable. So, one needs to plan a delay of 30 to 45 mins here. Other than this the rest of the road is excellent. At Ahmedabad, you exit the expressway, and follow the ring road, and catch the highway through Gandhinagar.

Leg 2: Gandhinagar to Nasirabad.

The road is 4 lane. However, one needs to watch out for speedbreakers in most Gujarat towns. Some are not well marked, and can take you by surprise especially at night. These have 'suspension wrecking' potential. The stretch towards Udaipur has a ghat section. It is a 4 lane good road. However, I think that it rained the previous night, and we counted 10 major accidents. In all cases the vehicles had gone off the road and turned turtle. So, night driving in this stretch may not be a good idea.

The problem area on this leg is the Udaipur bypass. The road surface is OK, but it is two lane, and the volume of truck traffic is mind boggling. When we were passing, one truck had broken down on the opposite lane. The traffic was backed up for a few kms!!! Fortunately, we managed to get through. Once again, 30 to 45 mins is what this stretch of road could take. The rest of the road is very good.

Leg 3: Nasirabad to Greater NOIDA.

The road is great till Jaipur. After Jaipur it is bad. I had commented about this stretch in my earlier post. This time the road surface was worse. New stretches that were laid just about 8 to 10 months back had big potholes about a foot deep! More work is in progress, and there are diversions every few kms - the diversions are in a terrible state. I was thankful for the GC update. The only good point was that our timing was good. It was before noon, and so the number of trucks was manageable. After about 3 PM, the truck traffic becomes really bad. It happened to us the last time. It was only well after Manesar that the road improves. In short, this is a stretch not worth doing. As I remember, while I went down to Mumbai in April, the South bound leg (Delhi - Jaipur) was not so bad. I dont' know whether it has changed.

Regards
    Johnny
    3 people like this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks for a detailed review of the road conditions. Except for the ring road in Ahmadabad which you had mentioned, I want to know whether the rest of the journey was on GQ till Jaipur? Have you taken any break in between?
  5. Thanks a ton for the Update!!!
    As the days are passing by and my program crystallizing, such updates are more than helpful.
    However, Bharuch bridge still scares!!!
  6. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Thanks for the update

I had been to Jaipur last year and had a horrowing time while returning. I think it took 7-8 hours as it had rained, and there were hughe craters on the road. I think this route is best avoided
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The route through the Ring road forms part of the standard route. Vadodra to Ahmedabad is connected by the new NE-1 (National Expressway). Then you have to go through Gandhinagar to get back on the highway. It is NH-8 from Mumbai to Udaipur. Then NH-76 to Chitaurgarh, NH-79 from Chitaurgarh to Ajmer, and then NH-8 up to Delhi. This is the route taken by all vehicles including trucks. The old NH-8 stretch between Udaipur & Ajmer is a two lane, and the condition is not very good.

I made two night halts: Gandhinagar & Nasirabad. The idea was to break up the legs into about 500 kms each. I find that this is a leg distance that you can manage very comfortably, without much fatigue.

Regards
    Johnny
    1 person likes this.
  8. Just going thru the maps as to find the ways to avoid the Bharuch Bridge...

Came across this one:
    SH 76 Bharuch.JPG
    This is SH76 (old NH 8), but besides going thru the Bharuch City, it looks even more horrific than the normal NH 8, which looks ok in the pics (surprized why no pics of the jams at the entry of this bridge are available on net:

NH 8 Bharuch.JPG
  9. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The Bharauch bridge is tolerable delay. The cops will be around to ensure that traffic moves. What could be worse is the Udaipur bypass. Despite the really bad foul-up on the day we passed it, I do not remember seeing a single cop in that area. You could check with some locals from Udaipur, and consider driving through the town. It just might be a better option.

Regards
    Johnny
  10. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Johnny sir,

Nice travelogue and good to know that you are back.Keep your calender occupied for 29th&30th oct. will be meeting you soon.