1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Grandeur, Then and Now!

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Grandeur, May 11, 2010.

1. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

Actually it is more than 21000 km now. Extensively driven on highways and on longer routes, mostly - Mumbai - Jaipur - Delhi - Mumbai.

Sharing my experience so far on it with all of you.

Driving Comfort:
    I did my longest stretch on GP MJD 1.3 of about 3700 Km from (Navi Mumbai > A’bad > Jaipur > Agra > Delhi > Jaipur > A’bad and back to Navi Mumbai), during Oct 2009. I think I can justify my comments towards driving comfort on Punto.

4386015375_fec8b2c06c.jpg

I’m 5’11” and after driving Indica for almost 6 years, I could for sure right away feel the driving comfort on Punto. I was more confident and very relax throughout my journey. I was really happy to adjust my sitting posture as per my comfort in between my journey, which is really required when you drive a vehicle for longer duration. Although neck support is not that effective, but I guess that’s the case with all cars so used pillow as per my comfort.

On Road Performance:
    After completing 21000 KM and after driven mainly on Expressway, Highways, city roads and even on deep interiors of Rajasthan where there is no roads at all, the ride quality and handling on higher speed and on sluggish bumpy roads is balanced and brilliant.

4388775287_c43da81b2f.jpg

4386014317_202e7de040.jpg

4386013683_2e1b11fb18.jpg

The highest I touched was 160-168 Km/hr, just to be near around with my other Punto's friend while on my way to Lonavala on our second Punto meet. That was one crazy drive, no more again. I love cruising...

Well, I don’t deny about it’s the initial lag, but that’s fine with me. I was here to drive it on Indian roads, not in drag race. Cross 2500 RPM and you’ll feel the turbo kicking in along with you back pressing against back rest of your seat.

3866726969_12026c470f.jpg

The engine can be heard in the cabin on higher speed, but only when your music system is off. Well, I take it this way, when I speed up and hear the engine sound it feels to me like my car is saying …yes I can do it, I can run well and faster. LoL

Braking:
    ABS is a boon to such car, which tempts you not to take off your feet from accelerator especially on Express/Highways like NH8. Fortunately I got to experience it only once when a street dog came on road from nowhere and I had to hit the brakes, the car didn’t lose its grip on road and came to halt very softly.

Fuel Consumption:
    3550KMs / 175 Ltrs = 20.2 KMPL (Approx). I guess quite an impressive figure, with an average speed of 110-120 km/hr. I guess, I need not to write on it.

4048987054_94e9d0af3b.jpg

Service Experience:
    No major issues in the service department so far. During first few visit during service period the following has been changed:
    • Engine Oil
    • Oil Filter
    • Air Filter
    • Pollen Filter
    • Clutch Slave Cylinder (as per Fiat's recommendation, no cost involved)

Interiors:
    Queen size leg room for rear but King size in front. But can be managed if front seats are positioned wisely (not in super comfort position for front sitters). Dashboard is pretty clean and straight, you need to move much your hand all around to have access to control systems. But, I miss the ARMREST in Punto.

3862030442_10e10cb1e7.jpg

Air Conditioning:
    AC is quick and effective, tested in my recent trip to Rajasthan when I drove usually in day and had to park in open sky under sun while my lunch intervals at Dhabhas for 1-2 hrs.

Boot Space:
    Boot space is quite sufficient; I carried one computer monitor (CRT), CPU, two bags and many other small packets in it. (Computer was for my parents at Rajasthan).

4048461765_6535bd0c50.jpg

Visibility from back view mirror is ok; I wish it should have more. But once you get used to it, it won’t bother you.

Problem
    • Right hand side door panel had an odd bulge (around window glass), so got it replaced under warranty.

• Recently came across one peculiar problem. Rattling sound kept bothering me for quite sometime, but the root cause was not diagnosed. In my recent visit to Fortune Cars, Nerul. The issue got resolved. It was the AC pipes which got unclipped and created that rattling sound. I want to mention this as it took quite sometime for me to diagnose and this could be helpful to other if something relevant problem is troubling you guys. Use it as an case study :).

Summary:
    I like:
    • Looks and Style.
    • Steering grip and handling
    • Extremely comfortable for long drives and so as for city drive as well.
    • The steering is awesome.
    • Mileage. Gives me around 17-18 in city (Navi Mumbai), and 20-21-odd on highways on around 2000-2500 rpm.
    • Safety features – Airbag, ABS, EBD.
    • Mileage
    • Power & Handling at highways
    • Suspension on high speeds
    • Service support (Many Anti- Fiat may not agree)

Cons:
    • Reverse light – Tail cluster has one reverse light and other is used as fog light
    • Poor rear visibility – Parking sensor must

I Wish:
    • Little tuned up engine to avoid that initial lag, but I can live with it.
    • Armrest
    • Engine not refined at high speeds
    • Reverse Light, I wish to be more brighter
    • Music control on steering in Emotion variant (I'm asking too much;) ).
    • A little higher ground clearance.
    • And a better music system and speakers. (Currently it comes with Blaupunkt FIAT 199CD SBO5 NEW STYLE CD RADIO)

My say: A refreshingly new car with great build quality, brilliant road handling and for pure driving pleasure!
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
    3 people like this.
  2. VP007

VP007

Mumbai
    Re: What do I feel after 20000 kms? Grande Punto 1.3 – Emoti

Grandeur,

That is a comprehensive Review. How about a few pics of the beauty !!! ;)
  3. puntopunter

puntopunter Novizio

Hyderabad

A great Review and excellent write ups.
    "Recently came across one peculiar problem. Rattling sound kept bothering me for quite sometime, but the root cause was not diagnosed. In my recent visit to Fortune Cars, Nerul. The issue got resolved. It was the AC pipes which got unclipped and created that rattling sound. I want to mention this as it took quite sometime for me to diagnose and this could be helpful to other if something relevant problem is troubling you guys. Use it as an case study"

Even i had the same problem got it fixed in first service
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

Wow, from 8K to 20K, great progress so fast.
  5. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3

Regarding the rear view. I managed to get a good (wide) clip on rear view mirror from Khan market Delhi. The optics are very good, and now I feel that the 'situational awareness' of the rear has improved. I have also got the rear parking sensor fitted, which helps while reversing. Will upload a photo of the mirror soon.
    Johnny
  6. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3

Further to my earlier post. I am enclosing two photos. One is of the rear view mirror. The field of view has improved considerably. The second is of the driver's seat. I have put in a lumbar cushion and a bead mat. These really cut down driving fatigue on long drives.
    Johnny[attachment=1:2y3quzs1]mirror.jpg[/attachment:2y3quzs1][attachment=0:2y3quzs1]seat.jpg[/attachment:2y3quzs1]
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum

Johnny,
    Previously I had used the one foot wide mirror on my Santro and thought of using that on my Punto as well but the following is what is preventing me.
    The rear view mirror in Punto Emotion has day/night switching that will allow you to prevent the glare from headlamps of vehicle behind you and I use it a lot. The wide mirrors I have seen doesn't have this ability. How is it for you with the wide mirror?
  8. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3

Royj,
    You are absolutely right about the day/night switching. The wide mirror does not have this capability. It was a tradeoff. Since I do a lot more driving by day I decided that the wide view more than made up by the much better 'situational awareness' of what was going on behind you. Personally, so far I have not found the lack of the day/night facility to be a problem even when I drive at night. I suppose you will have to see what you are comfortable with.
    Johnny
  9. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3

Trust me Grandeur when i drove your vehicle the other day, i felt no difference between mine and yours...
    Inspite of 20k kms run your car is as smooth as a new one... And that was the fear in my mind that a new vehicle is okie but later on and especially on a diesel vehicle, the engine gets noise later on after running which is not the case in the MJD's...

Great vehicle to drive man... Trust me We simply need a reason to drive our GP's..

BTW ive completed 9500KMS so far..
  10. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

I agree, the engine is more smoother now. It's still new by heart and I can feel it in my drive!