1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Grande Punto MJD FGT E+ | Tuscan Wine

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by devansn, Sep 16, 2010.

1. devansn

devansn Novizio

Its been almost a month and a half since I took delivery of my beauty. Got too busy driving her all the time. :) He is around 7000 Kms young now - I don't know, somehow I feel like calling it "he" - feels like a younger brother to me. ::V

How / Why A Punto:
    It was back in 2006 that I first drove a Palio NV 1.2 Sports with my friend from Pune to Thrissur, Kerala. The way the car handled the high speeds at ease, the way it inspired confidence at almost all the tricky curves, the comfort it gave us over most of the most dangerous potholes, everything felt good in the Palio. A 150-200 Kms stetch on NH 17 in Karnataka then was the worst road I have ever seen - in fact, there was barely any road! Had it been my Dad's M800, I could have easily carried the remaining portions of the car in a 50 paise polythene cover after this stretch! But the Palio took them all with ease - my friend's 3 year old kid was enjoying his sleep. Although words like high speed stability, handling, ride, build quality etc. were not in my vocabulary then, I knew something was different in the Palio.

Early 2009, I had almost finalized on the Palio Stile MJD - no ABS even as an option was the only pain point. And then my dates for coming back to Mumbai got extended, I start hearing about the Punto that was way out of my budget. The more I read about it (confessions for not reading much of the reviews of Polo, Figo, I20), the more my budget grew. :)

To be continued...
  2. Arun1100

Arun1100 Regolare

Waiting for the rest of the story!
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    And lots of pictures please.

7K in 1.5 months? Great going.
  4. devansn

devansn Novizio

Pre-Delivery Impressions:

I went to the nearest TATA-Fiat showroom, Fortune, Nerul, along with my wifey and parents in the second week of July. The person helped us was Mr. Yogesh Parmar - although he did not speak anything new (I mostly knew in and out of what a Punto is from forums like TBHP, although I was getting to see and experience it for the first time then), he was really helpful and did not even try any cross-selling (Manza, etc.) techniques with me - probably from what I speak he would have got an impression that I have already made my choice. I liked the way he explained the features of the car with the frequent usage of "hamara gaadi".

We took a test drive on a 2009 MJD - the second gear shortness was not to be felt in it, surprisingly. Needless to mention, ride was superb, handling, although could not test it truely, felt good, braking was excellent. My main criteria, as expected, were met. Dad could easily understand why 7 lakhs on a hatcback. But the very car-ignorant Mom's comments were (translated from Malayalam to English): "Potholes are not to be felt", "Body metals look strong(er than our Spark)". She usually presses the panic button the moment I am doing over 60s on our Spark, but in the test drive car, she didn't even notice the 100+ I did on the Thane-Belapur road!

The very next day, 12th of July, I booked the car with a 50K cheque.
    Deals Got:
    1. First year insurance free
    2. Road side assistance plus 2+2 year extended warranty for 5K
    3. Mud flaps, floor mats and a car perfume as freebees.
    I had a hope to get the sun films for free as well, but did not work out.

Total OTR: Rs. 6,90,182/-

My friend and I did a PDI of my GP - only issue was rusting on the front discs - have heard that this is expected and is nothing to worry about. When we were about to leave after the PDI, one of the Fortune drivers started the car and revved it in a painful (to me) manner for parking it - Yogesh should have read the pain on my face and asked the driver "Bhai, aaraam se"... :)

Delivery & Post Delivery
    I had a plan to take the delivery before 5 PM so that I can verify everything is good and I was promised so, but ultimately it was 6PM by the time I took the delivery. The person who gave delivery explained most of the features of the car and I was impressed. There were a few hairline scratches here and there, they promised to fix them in the first 3K Km check up.

Gave a small gift to Yogesh and we left the showroom by 6:15. Grandeur was just behind us, unable to take his car out because of our delivery formalities as well as a small photo session. :) It was a pleasure to have him at the delivery time.

The first thing I noticed while driving home was that there is slight pull towards the left side - can be felt only after 50-100 meters of taking hands off the steering. 2 days later I got an appointment and got it checked - but unfortunately could not prove it to the service guy. However, he confirmed that if at all there is anything, there is nothing major that could cause uneven tire wear and all and I can safely drive till 3K Kms.

Arun1100, Ravi, pictures to follow - 7K includes my Mumbai-Kerala-Mumbai trip as well.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    What Grandeur was doing there? Servicing?
  6. Bala

Bala Esperto

Congrats and welcome to FIAT club
    But,why can't FIAT fix this pulling to the left issue??,have read it so many owners' thread.Bad.
  7. redtux

Congrats and welcome to FIAT club!
    Tuscan Wine is great color. I rejected the color bcoz i felt it might be difficult to maintain. (I am lazy :) )
  8. devansn

devansn Novizio

@Ravi, Yes, Grandeur was there for a service / check up, I guess.
    @Bala, Thanks!
    @redtux, Yes, it is indeed a very tough colour to maintain.

Trip To Kerala
    Mods, I did not want to create another thread for this trip alone - mainly because the experiences on this trip is part of my initial ownership experiences. However, if need be, I can shift this portion to another thread.

It was around 1900 on the ODO when we (Me, My Wife and a friend of mine) headed to Kerala for a two week vacation for Onam as well as a couple of family get togethers.

We started off at 3:30 AM on 19th August from Panvel and reached Bangalore (via NH 4) at 5:30 PM. The drive indeed was great! Literally felt like a Panvel-Dadar-Panvel trip! Absolutely easy. The roads were superb except for a 50 Km stretch near Chitradurga. The average speed we got was 80 Km/hr. Top speed: 173 Km/hr (just once), except for that, we maintained a healthy 110-120 Km/hr. The FE we got was around 17 Kmpl. One doubt, how can one restrict a Punto's speed below 100 on an open highway? :wink:

Next day morning we started off to Thrissur @ 5:30 - roads were excellent till Palakkad.

In the entire trip, we managed to kiss the roads / potholes with our Punto's bottom dozens of times and ran over hundreds of potholes and bumps. :cry: Many such incidents happened because of our over estimation on Punto's ground clearence.

One small accident happened on our way from Bangalore to Kerala, near Salem - we were at 0 Km/hr at a toll booth and a Santro kissed us from the LHS - a foot long scratch and a small dent on the front LHS door. :A The Santro guy paid us Rs. 3500/-, but to fix it, the TATA-Fiat service center at Puzhakkal, Thrissur quoted Rs. 6000/-!

Another accident happened when we parked our car on the road side - when we were back, the RHS rear view mirror and the cover were missing! :confused

First Service (Check up)
    First service was due by the time we reached Kerala - in fact, because of the Onam holidays, we could do the service only by around 4000 Kms on the ODO.

Issues till first service:
    1. Squeaking sound from the front LHS - from where the passenger airbag is - this was from the AC pipe - Fixed.
    2. Wheel Alignment & Balancing - although the issue of pulling to left side was reported immediately after the delivery, the buggers charged me for this - Rs. 450/- When I argued, they said this would have been free had I did the service from Fortune, Nerul!
    3. RHS rear view mirror & cover (black colour) fitted - Rs. 325/-
    4. "Thud" sound from behind when the car falls in some special kind of high altitude potholes at slow speeds - they said they fixed it, but I guess it still there and I think its the mudflap - Gurus?
    5. I did not get time to take the car to the paint shop to repaint the Santro-made scratches. Will have to get it re-quoted from Fortune.

Life with a Punto - a few painpoints:
    1. Horrible ground clearance - but at the same time, when I checked the underbody at the time of first service, to my surprize, there were no issues apart from a few scratches here and there, after all the torture my car had to suffer on our way to Kerala.
    2. 2nd and 5th gears could have been taller - I feel with a taller 5th gear, 20+ kmpl would be easily achievable on speeds close to 120 - very tough to drive a Punto below such speeds!
    3. A$$, although not as bad as I expected, has room for improvement - I love GM's.
    4. 1.3 Litres is too small for a car like this.
    5. Tuscan Wine is one of the toughest to maintain - a hint of dust makes the car ugly, unlike, for instance, BNW.

I love everything else on the Punto - I really don't care about the interior.
  9. devansn

devansn Novizio

Latest updates:
    1. This morning I noticed that the rear side Fiat badge is stollen! :cry: How much does it cost, anyone?
    2. Last week we went to Vasai via Mumbra - what a road that was! My car got quite dusty after the trip - the area inside the four doors also have dust - but I have never faced a water seepage issue in the monsoons - is this an issue? Some issue with the rubber beedings on the doors?
    3. The toolkit makes a lot of noise - how to handle this?

10. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Oops, not again !! I hate those Mumbai thieves & after loosing 3 logo's, finally won the battle !!! ::T

This thread is your best friend -->> http://teamfiat.co.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31&hilit=logo