1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Grande Punto Lowering

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Nimish antony, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    I have a doubt. Since I am not good with the calculation stuff I thought I will clarify from the experts.

I used to drive on 205/55/15 from the stock 195/60/15. I lost 5 mm of GC.

I now run on 215/45/17. How much have I gained in mm from 205/55/15. What would be the height increase in mm.

Just cos I'm planning to lower my car by 35mm

So was in doubt to know how much I gained by the 17 inch and how much I can afford to lower.
  2. You will gain 50 mm in total and effective 25 mm in height just by the 17 " wheels lost 19.75 mm in total height effective 9.8mm due to low profile tire.
    so 25 -9.8mm id the effective height gain.
  3. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    so i comfortably get around 15mm of space as stock for lowering.
  4. Yes against the 17" config.
  5. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    You have lost 4.25mm of GC from 195/60/15 to 205/55/15 and gained 9.4mm from 205/55/15 to 215/45/17. Hence the total change from stock GC is +5.15mm.

Kiran
    1 person likes this.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Niminsh, Take a look at this..
    Screenshot-21.jpg
  7. He is going for 17" wheels.
  8. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    I'm planning for a drop of 30-35. Lowering springs were available for the same. Was thinking about an adjustable suspension. In case I get the springs I'm not sure if it would be too low.
    Choices for springs are
    1. H&R
    2. VOGTLAND
    3. Amex
    4. Eibach
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Is you're idea of lowering the suspension purely for aesthetic purposes?
    If so then there are major functional disadvantages that I'd like you to consider before you start off..

If you go in for Dynamically adjustable suspension then you need to really , I mean really pour in a lot of money , Upwards of 40K
    Now even if you simply go in for a low rider setup , with you low profile tyres there is going to be Immense load on the springs/wheel and on our perfect roads this is really going to cause a lot of problems to you. Rim bends, Heavy damages to the discs and brake assembly , Under body damage are all very very real possibilities.

If you're purely looking for aesthetics why don't you consider a body kit with 17" wheels.. I'm guessing that should look hot as well...
    Please think about this as in the long run lowered suspension would mean that you cannot take you're baby to nearly 60-70% of the places in india ;)
    1 person likes this.
  10. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3