1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Grand Punto Deal Or no Deal

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by bennick12, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bennick12

bennick12

Goa
    Hi Guys.

Firstly Mod’s please ive searched the whole thread endlessly, and there are no discussions that can solve my query..
    I'm in the market for a companion for my Getz CRDI, but this time petrol.. Narrowed it down to the Fabia 1.6 & Polo 1.6, Test drove both for almost a month and finally decided on the Fabia 1.6. Since it was already late December and dealers not getting in anymore stock decided to wait till the New Year. One Fine December morning, on my way to a friend’s place passed a the Fiat Showroom, Thought to myself the Punto has always been a long-time favourite but to the A** from tata for our Palio Stile the idea was dropped in a hurry. But tout to my self what the hell lets stop by and checkout the car since I had some time to spare.

Test Drove the Grand Punto 1.4 Emotion and I was blown away, Not as powerful as the others but a rock-solid contender. Now the Deal is even sweeter… The SE told me the do not have any 2011 Models in stock but has a BNW 1.4 Emotion PK Feb2010 Model on which they can offer some cash discount.

SO here is the Offer..
    Free Insurance.
    Free RSA
    Cash discount of 1.52 Lac.
    Free Undercoating, Teflon, Anti Rust, Premium Tinting from 3M.
    The Onroad price from 6.73 Lac, Works out to 4.90

My Question below…

1 ) Is the Offer justified for a 2010 Model, Or should I ask for more.
    2 )How come they have such old models in stock, the SE told me that they received the car in Aug 2011 from Fiat..
    3 )Did a visual PDI, Car looks in good condition, started her up, Speedo stood on 67 Km,
    4 )Will be keeping the car for a minimum 6 years so not really bothered about resale value.
    5 )How can we come to know if the car is a lemon or not. Any Test that can be carried out.
    6 )Told the SE that is I do go for the Car, I want the Wiper Blades, Battery, All 4 Tired Replaced to a more recent date for which he agreed..

Your Valuable inputs will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
  2. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Please check if it has H on the ODO, if not then this car has already been driven more than 200km.

Personally i will stay away from such a old car.

But if you are going through this deal, check the invoice of the car to check delivery date of the car to dealer. Please do a extended PDI before going for this car. Also ask for extended warranty on the car for free.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  3. bennick12

bennick12

Goa
    What Does the "H" Signify.???

The Extended warranty is for 5K Which is included in the 4.90 Onroad Price
  4. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Any new car comes with H on the ODO which allows the ODO to be reset to Zero. It also disappears after you have driven for 200km. This is used so that Fiat and Service station can do PDI of the car for few km and then reset it to zero before delivering it to customer.
    I would go for free extended insurance, instead of paying for it as most of the new punto get it free on delivery.

Please check the condition of the tyres to see how much the car has been actually driven. Also check the manufacturing date on the tyre to see if they have not already changed it to mask the actual running of the car.

Please be very cautious while buying this car as this car is already nearly 2year old. As 4.9Lakh is also not less money and you dont want to loose it for just 1.52lakh off out of which you usually get upto 50k off. So basically your are gambling 4.9 lakh for getting 1 Lakh off
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Consider this car only if there is a discount of something like 3 lakh. :p

Else, stay away. No point going for such an old, new car. Look around the used car market if you want. For this much money you just might get a relatively less used Punto Diesel.

Cheers.
  6. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    This is not a deal. As suggested by gurjinder, the discount has to be atleast 3 lacs or more.

I would stay away from a car that has been standing since such a long time.
  7. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If the car is really stuck, dealer would like to give a throwaway deal of 2-2.5lacs. IMO, at least this with a 2-2.25 lacs discount is better than a similar car is used car market with even 3 lacs discount. Because a used is still run much more and you never know how the car was handled by the previous owner.

My advise would be to view the PDI checklist thread in the Team FIAT downloads section. You can see how to make sure that this isn't a test drive vehicle. But then the tyres might have been replaced already. The main issue is that we need to be sure that this is not a test drive car. A test drive car is abused more than a Formula 1 car. Never buy a test drive car even with a discount of 4 lacs.
  8. bennick12

bennick12

Goa
    Thanks For the input guys..

This is the Final Offer that they are offering..

1. 2 Lac Cash Discount
    2. Free Insurance, RSA & Extended Warranty.
    3. Anti rust, Teflon, Tinting by 3M.

Over and above a full service change of fluids/filters , Plus change of battery, Wiper Blades, & Tires.

Checked the Form 22 As well its a Feb 2010 Manufactured Model.

i have asked dealer to certify on their letter head that this car has never been repaired for any accident and never used as TD car and they will refund full car value if so proved later.

Also since 2010 till now Fiat has made numerous upgrades to te car, would it be possible for someone to note down whatever they were so i can ask the showroom to have them done if not already...
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  9. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The most important upgrades since Feb 2010 are Clutch slave cylinder update and AC update for petrol Punto.

Discounts and deal is good. I would have gone for it provided dealer certifies that this has never been used as TD car or been damaged and repaired at any stage in its life. But then you should follow your own heart as its easier for others like me to talk and the money is yours. I think ex showroom price for this car is now 4 lacs if I am correct or even lesser?

Check for available deals for 2011 models as well as 2012 models have now been launched.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I think Ac Upgrade and Clutch slave cylinder upgrade (replace the plastic one with steel) are the main ones. I think they replaced the factory default air filter too.