1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Gradual decrease in oil level

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sriramr9, Oct 14, 2015.

1. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    No need to worry then... this is normal for almost every car...
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Linea is currently over 64k approx. 5W is for cold climate conditions for improved flow characteristics and faster oil pressure built up for quick protection. But in tropical its overkill and while it could definitely help, its not diehard necessary. As far as oil grade is concerned its made for Quadrajet and multijet and other dicor diesels and mentioned on label. Its definitely a better oil and safer than other HDEO oils which are meant for light or heavy truck applications. Having said that Rimula etc. could also serve well the needs of protecting engine internals.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  3. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Any idea on Global Racing Oil SAE 5W40,

http://globalracingoil.com/data/catalog/GROAUTO.pdf

My friend is using it in his Scorpio and suggested to Vento TDI, Innova's and has been doing good. Require your inputs on this Asimpleson.

He suggested i go for this with an ABRO oil treatment combination.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Sriram9, STP will definitely increase ZDDP content and protect engine. Plus it has viscocity improvers. I do not know what is inside Abro additive for oil so will not comment about efficacy and would advice you to find that first too.

You can try the oil. Although why not send email to the company and give your engine specs and ask. Cannot know for sure what goes into the particular oil to make it worth a premium.
  5. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Oil consumption will vary and IMO 300ml for 5k is not bad.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/what-are-the-reasons-of-oil-consumption.php
  6. itsvikrams

itsvikrams Novizio

chennai
    Can you share link of the stp product you are using
  7. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT

+100, to this,

Diesels - Need Diesel specific oils. Period.

I am happy with Shell Rimula R4 15w40 CI-4 +(Mineral ), in my palio Mjd.

Though I always wanted to put synthetic oil, And I did try out MGDO shell helix hx8 diesel 5w40 on my palio mjd recently
    The change was very promising, free revving, response was very good. better acceleration. But post 500 kms, while my routine "under the hood check-up" I noticed slight smoke from the oil dipstick, slight blow by.

Immediately shifted back to Shell Rimula, 15w40 grade, and things were normal. No Smoke from dipstick,
    Lesson learnt, Not all expensive oils are good for the engine, The palio Mjd was designed for 15w40 and not 5w40 like the punto mjd.
    asimpleson likes this.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Sujit508, yes all expensive oils do not mean best protection always. But even Selenia wr5w40 is semi synthetic too. Lot needs to be demystified about specifics of the word "synthetic". Oil pressure is one important factor which is covered by 5w rating for pan india use. All weather. But mjd I think has always been 5w40 recommended by company.
  9. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    I own a 2011 model 1.3 JTD Gen 1 Punto clocked almost 41500KM. 6500km back i switched to Shell Helix Ultra 5w40, Though the drive is smooth with additive and oil booster, i see a reduction in stick level, in 6 months the stick is showing only half the level, i filled the sump maintaining max level in stick.

I dont see a black/white smoke funny smell during cold starts/
    i dont see any oil slick in my basement
    i dont see turbo leaking oil
    Coolant is still bright pink, no leak from oil cooler what so ever.
    i have no pick up issues, drives well
    i am getting a decent mileage 18 kmpl

Where do i start about to diagnose for the missing oil, if its not getting into the combustion chamber ? How come so much oil be lost in 6k km ?
  10. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Well I don't have the answers for the above queries, however my car is close to 28k on odo with last oil change done at 15k and when I checked the engine oil levels this Sunday I found that it's at mid point of the dip stick indicator.
    My car too has absorbed some oil and I too don't know the reason why.
    I too do not see any issues with smoke, pickup or fuel efficiency.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.