1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Gradual decrease in oil level

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sriramr9, Oct 14, 2015.

1. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    I know most of this is discussed here, as title suggests i feel i am also one of the victim who is witnessing a reduction in oil level albeit slowly.

As shown in the dipstick image here after a drive of 5000km post oil change i see a reduction in the dip stick level, marked in red. (Checked in flat surface in cold engine - 10 hours of inactivity).

When the fill was done in feb 2015 (i inspected the new oil and confirmed the marking) the oil was new and covered till the cross hatch, now looks like some 100-200 ml is reduced.

Observations/Drive pattern: Mileage (odo reading: 31,150 Km using it since Feb 2012 single owner).
    1. More of a city driven car.
    2. Maintain 1-2 min idle rule during start /stop of engine.
    3. Carried out all services/oil changes on time but only yearly once as per FASS.
    4. Seeing no black smoke when revved to 4k rpm on a well warmed up ending.
    5. No visual leaks any where.

Note: During Feb 2015 service also i saw a reduction in dip stick to same extent and had replaced the oil after 11000KM.

Where could the oil be getting lost, i judiciously check it once in 3 days now after this observation was spotted last week. What preventive action should i take ?

1.jpg
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Preventive action is you should keep a 3ltr or 5ltr pack and keep topping up. Perhaps also 1ltrs bottle for ease of topping up. Eventually the problem could magnify. Or maybe disappear depending on if it actually is a constant leak. But you should wait it out and take opinions or check up. Keep updating here.
  3. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Sure Asimpleson, My good friend and GRO sub oil dealer was skeptical about the OEM oil being filled in dealerships during service and poor quality can in turn show a decrease gradually.

He is suggesting to go for independent maintenance when it comes to handling with oils and he advised to try GRO (Global Racing Oil) 5W40 FULL SYNTH for the MJD, which is doing wonders in his Scorpio along with PRO 10 additive for internal protection. He is supplying the same oil to Taxi operators for their INNOVA and is working well it seems.

Your thought s please. (Products he suggested)

http://motoonline.in/pro-10-octane-booster.html (Additives for Valve protection)
  4. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    @sriramr9 you mean to say that after 5k of running you noticed that the oil level was at the red marked on Dipstick in the pic?

Or was it at the lowest?

By the way after 2-3K of running there would be oil consumption anywhere between 200-400ml. As the engine gets old the oil consumption also increases.
    And that is normal and also based on running conditions.
  5. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    1. Are you sure consumption 300ml consumption is ok for a 30k odd run MJD, i read in forums there should not be any substantial loss of oil for upto 10k, the loss of oil is after 11000 odd km run then it s agreeable, but missing 300ml in just 5k is not agreeable. pl correct me if wrong.

The reason i mentioned 300ml is a rough guess seeing the level of oil compared to the full 3.2 liter capacity where the oil will cover the entire cross hatch pattern.

I addressed this to my good friend and he is says quality of oil is culprit for the oil loss and told me the below combination.

2. He Suggested i use GLOBALRACING OIL which is a niche brand in europe and is doing wonders in his Scorpio. He suggested used below oil in his Scorpio and is plenty impressed, i am not sure how it fares to the likes of Mobil 1 Delvac 5W40 and Shell Helix Ultra.
    But the result seems very positive and has been doing well in the cab segment were innova's were fed with this oil and are coming up brilliantly. Minimal leaks good high end performance extended usage resulting to very less reduction in level of oil etc .

http://globalracingoil.com/productos/groauto/groauto/

Upon search there is not any word/ documentation that it is capable for handling Turbocharged/Inter cooled/Timing chain fitted Diesel engines.

Was told that GRO 5W40 with ABRO engine protection additive and pro 10 diesel conditioner is a killer combination. Looking for feedback on any users of this product in their cars/ jeeps as i am contemplating heavily in using above combination for my Fiat 1.3 JTD(MJD).
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    My suggestion is Oil has always been a difficult subject for some to comprehend. No offense to any single person in particular, but so many people want to buy the popular myths and anything that goes perpendicular to regular beliefs is challenged and sounds blasphemous to them. Yes, people are religious about Fully synthetic or Semi-Synthetic and also the brands.

Coming to the main point, oil as far as diesels are concerned need better cleaning properties, best visocity rating and HTHS number of 3.5 and above for protection of engine internals and surfaces. Good amount of ZDDP which unfortunately is not approved of due to emission issues. Again as per some sites which have dug deep on this subject, esp. in US a study has found that premature engine wear (a failure in part) and oil consumption is due to the reducing amount of ZDDP content which oil and auto manufacturers have committed to on account of emission issues and issues of DPF clogging (the flip side).

My suggestion is buy a MGDO oil like Mobil Super 5W40 (for price considerations) and add STP diesel oil additive and run to prevent further damage (assuming wear and tear is there at present). Change religiously at 7.5k and definitely no later than 10k, incase you have time issues of getting it changed in time.

For most oils apart from Selenia we could be more secured with hydraulic tappet additives like liqui moly hydraulic lifter additive for better performance.

@sriramr9, oils suggested by your friend could be good or even best, but you could try and see if you MJD's NVH levels reduce. Especially noise and vibration part. I would always recommend to study further on other forums and read reviews before buying these products. Some race products come with good HTHS rating that is above average than best and popular brands in market.

Diesels need diesel engine specific oils for countering extra wear and tear. General multi-purpose oils are not adequate in my opinion. Shell Helix Ultra though a very good oil I found not so great for MJD, the gruffness in engine note was there, which is not a welcome sign IMO.

EDIT: slowly you could shift to 15W40 like Motul 4100 for diesel engine oil and see if it helps. It definitely will provide better protection than synthetic thinner oils. Thicker oils will help regain some compression and stop leaks, but you must take care at startup and allow engine to warm up and similar while stopping.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  7. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks Asimpleson, could you please throw a light on your drives oil and additive brand being used and additive used for your diesel ?
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I am currently using Motul 4000 Motion Plus SAE15W40 Premium diesel oil for cars. (error regretted in prior post).
    This oil could work without additives, but eventually some extra level of additives could not hurt. Especially if one could get a DPF cleaned on cleaning machine which not a common practice here.

It is API CI-4 rated, low ash like Selenia.
  9. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Calm down.. its normal.. as long as the oil level is between max and Min mark.. you are good...
    Do you see any sign of leakage under your car?
  10. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Thank you, Motul 4000 Motion Plus is different Grade compared to the Manual suggested "Synthetic Base Lube SAE 5W40 grade ACEA A3/B3/B4 FIAT 0.55535-N2 spec.

Where do you live, when i try to decode the grade is "15" not mean less viscous compared to "5" which is vital during cold Starts ? Correct me when i am wrong. Is it still helping you? How much clicks have you done in your ODO?
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 16, 2015 ---
    No visible leaks what so ever, no black smoke. but this reduction noticed after 5000 odd kms after the refill.

Note: There was slight reduction noticed during 3rd yearly service as well when the flush and re filling was done.