1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    In search, instead of giving the full name of the place, give just part of it. That gives all results that contain the keyword.
    Ex: I wanted to search for All India Institute of local Self Govt., and I searched for "All India". It gave me names of all institutions starting with the name "All India". It will take a little more time to to complete the search, but you dont need to wait until the search is completed. You can select the desired location the moment the it appears.

Probably, the speed of the earth! ;) Did the chair have wheels? :D
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    The search is powerful in garmin. It even search the results that have words which contain the key word that we have entered any where in the text.

Let me check the seed of car in two opposite direction, with GPS, to check whether speed of earth has any effect;)
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  3. Cashier

Cashier Amatore

Mumbai
    GPS will not take consideration of the rotation of earth, as they rotate along with the rotation of earth, there are 31 GPS satellites in orbit and at any one point in time you receive signal on your GPS from atleast 9 Satellites.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. LineaDriver

LineaDriver Novizio

KL-07
    I have created a route with many custom POIs in Google Maps and have exported the route as a .kml file. I want to send a friend of mine along this route, using a MMI LX130 Navigator. Is it possible to import this route into MMI LX130, does it need any conversion? If possible how should I convert the file and where should I copy in the MMI LX130 Navigator? Any help is much appreciated.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Is there any heating issue if we use GPS continuously(with few breaks) for say 12 hours. When I travel from Goa to Banglore, There is not much confusion on NH4 as it is a straight highway. But confusion comes if one need to take some diversion for hotels and also to know about fuel stations. I am just curious to know how others use the device?
    Whether they only use it when they require it or always keep it on during the entire trip.I am using it for first time for a long trio so this stupid query:)
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I have used my MMI Lx130 navigator, connected to my Linea's cigarette lighter socket, continuously for 34 hours when I drove from Kolkata to Guwahati without any heating issues. Even when I took power naps, I did not switch it off. So, don't worry. Use it from the origin to the destination continuously. However, when you break for food, switch it off, remove it from the holder and carry it with you to prevent theft. Again, when you resume your journey, switch it on and it will guide you from there.
    3 people like this.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I would say the GPS is the best companion after your wife in the car. I alone driven from Goa to chennai in my alto and the aid and mental peace that you get from the GPS is worth for every money you spent for it. On highway my garmin was accurate. Since I was new to the device, I couldn't explore the full potential of it. The only trouble it gave was it took me inside banglore unnecessarily which could have avoided if I properly operated it by giving via route option. The display is very clear even at bright sun. 4.3" size is enough for a clear view. Its prediction of arrival is also correct. For example it started corrected the arrival time as soon as arrived at NH4 and also according to my trend(average speed). I am happy with the product. Due to a tire puncture I reached chennai at night and without the GPS I would have made lot of stops to ask about the way.
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    yes. It frequently recalculates based on your driving style.
    You have options to set such as taking shortest distance, less time, etc.
    When you plan long trip, it's important to set via points, so you dont waste time.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    How to include more points on routes. I save the points on favorites and choose whenever I required them.
    Another good thing is it gave me warning when I tried to operate it while driving. It is a Fiat-like feature.

Is there any way it predict the flyovers and give warning, like choose the way below the flyovers etc(Am I demanding too much from a gps:confused:)
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    For example, I am driving from bangalore to Kannur. (I know this route very well and no need to search for any point on the way. :) )
    1. Search for kannur, select and press Go.
    Search for Hunsur, the first via point.
    Select Hunsur and press Go. Now GPS will ask you, Do you want to set this place as New destination or via point?
    Select via point. Similarly search for the remaining via points and add to the route.
    The GPS now recalculates the route toucing each of the via point.

There is some option related to Fly oevrs...Dont remember correctly, whether to avoid fly overs totally to warn in advance..