1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. vipinpradeep

vipinpradeep Amatore

malappuram,kerala
    i am u sing my mobile phone(samsung wave1) for gps navigation....in my opinion its better than a dedicated gps device....because for dedicated gps device the only option to update the maps is to send it to the manufacturer or its service center...but we can dowload and update maps in mobilephone ourselve...only a gprs connection is needed.....so in my opinion using a smartphone is better than spending a 8000-12000rs for gps device
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    No its not that way. For example my garmin allow me to update the maps by connecting it to PC with internet connection. The advantage with mobile phone is that one can carry it anywhere. For example if you are travelling in a taxi in a unknown city one can help the driver in identifying the place.
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    These days, the manufacturer or the reseller sends you the updated map in a 2gb SD card...Or you have the option to update map online, provided you have a valid licence from the provider. An internet connection is all you need. The only negative is that you cannot update the map on a daily basis without connecting it to your PC.
    A dedicated GPS device always has an edge in navigation over a mobile phone, whose primary purpose is voice communication. Everything else it provides is just add-ons. Be it camera, music, or GPS. That's my take.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I was trying to understand how to find places (assuming that I am in a new city and I new the name of the place). So for example assume that I need to drive from Goa to
    Tidal park, Taramani, Chennai.
    The procedure that I followed is Where to--> Chennai --> Taramani --->CSIR road. After that when I typed tidal park it the device couldn't locate the place.
    I am using Garmin device. Is it the same with others?
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    More than the device, it is your map which should support the locations.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I am thinking the way I choose the location is the problem For example there is a school which is near my home in kerala which is showing when I zoom the map, but when I typed that school's name after selecting kerala-->city-->location it is not appearing in result. My map is update also installed mmiv7.0 in it.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    The map should have got the locations directory updated as well. You will have the option to select City name or location and city or even complete address. But, you can't enter any landmarks. For instance, for the Tidel park, you can better choose to go to Taramani, Chennai. That should be possible.
    1 person likes this.
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    You should be searching Under POI > Community > Schools > School name
    IF it is present in the map it will show up.
    If you are searching for a place, then searching kerala-->city--> location will work...it will not show up institutions or establishments

POIs have been categorised into schools, govt offices, shopping, centers, etc...so when you search under a category, they do work.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
    2 people like this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks. Is it that if we are near a locality more places will be shown than that we search from a distant place.
    Here is the address of a homestay in coorg. Alpen glow, convent junction, Medikeri. If I select Karnataka>Medikeri>POI>resorts and I didn't find it either by the list provided or by spell it option.In this case how I will select my destination point so that I will have continuous navigation possible till I reach the destination.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    My MMI Lx130 navigator does not support auto correct facility. Even if one alphabet is different, it won't show the nearby/correct places. Try TIDEL park. The name TIDEL is a portmanteau of TIDCO and ELCOT.
    1 person likes this.