1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad

I have not tried the Voice guidance stuff claimed by google on the newest version of maps.G Maps actually needed a active data connection until recent times, but they recently launched the offline maps feature wherein you can download maps for a specific city. (It does not download all INDIA Maps even if you have enough memory).

I never felt google maps comfortable enough, they are useful only for quick reference situations, like when you are stuck somewhere and do not know the route. And also Google Maps are very good with POI (Points of Interest) - eg: If you are looking for a specific restaurant or may be a Shop, G maps are your best bet when compared to any other maps.

The main problem i have with google maps on Android phones is that, the phone's display times out after a while and you need to keep fiddling with it to keep it active which is dangerous while driving. Off-course there are workarounds.

There are several applications available for Android phones that keep your screen from timing out when you run them. (Im extremely lazy and do not like running an additional applications while using the GPS and turning it off when done). There are also applications that keep the Screen from timing out when a chosen application is running (You can configure the application to keep the screen from timing out when Google Maps app is running). But for some reason, i found my mobile's battery to drain out faster when applications like these are running in the background. There are several applications in the Market that do this and i have not tried most of them, there might be some that might do their job right.

For all the above reasons, I have always preferred SYGIC with MMI maps for most of my trips. (The screen does not timeout while this is running)
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    vj,
    thanks for the indepth details,i was going through the google and found that voice guided gmaps is only for androids.

Do SYGIC have voice guided ?
    if you have download link for SYGIC can you please post here ?
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
  4. Cashier

Cashier Amatore

Mumbai
    Yes it has voice guided navigation, and will also recalculate the route if you miss a specific turn or deliberately do it :), and its good you will find a snap of the same on 2 page of this post that shows my Motorola Defy, with Sygic. You can try it as a Trial Version, sun unfortunately placed his order before opening a thread or I would have suggested him to try it for free around 7 day trial period is available.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    2 people like this.
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    If you are using Android phone then download Navfree Software from the PlayStore. It is free of cost navigation software and works well as well. I am using that software here in Sheffield.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    What is the role of locking and unlocking codes in garmin maps. When I connected my device to computer I found these codes. Can any one explain it?
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    They are like serial keys or license keys. Only a genuine buyer is supposed to get a serial key or an unlock code. But these days google gives you any key/code.
    Maps are usually locked, which means they will not open without the unlock code, a 1kb file containing the unlock code, with .UNL extention.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks. What is mean by unlocking a map? Is it of any use to customer?
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    It is a method to prevent piracy. Typically, you can use the map only if you have unlock code. If a person gets only the map, it is of no use, without the code to unlock.
    It just means that, if the unlck code is not there, the device will not be able to open the maps. You will get some error like "Cannot unlock maps." There are certain unlocking utilities that illeagally modify the map source and and remove the lock.
    1 person likes this.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Which is the best place to mount the GPS device? Top right side? top center(below RVM), or on dash? In which position did you feel less distraction.
    For dash do we need a friction pad to keep the device?