1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I think now days the mobile navigation also gives recalculation of route facility. One can use car charger for both mobile and GPS device. So battery usage time is not a problem.
    Other points are true and one has to pick depending on the priority. Another advantage with mobile is that they give better exchange price when go for a new mobile. I don't know there is any exchange price discount available for GPS device. 2-3K discount can easily get if mobile is in good working condition.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
  2. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    Yepp true, I think one can live without a dedicated GPS device, especially in India. The best GPS is the people walking on side of the road :D Along with the route details, they give additional info like road conditions, traffic etc. And all these at free of cost ;)
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I got my garmin Nuvi 40LM today. Total coast is Rs. 8450. The first impression felt was that the it is very light. http://www.teamfiat.co.in/punto-1-4-fire/1067-owners-pride-exotica-red-grande-punto-1-4-emotion-12.html#post117912
    Following got along with the device

•Preloaded City Navigator® India and Mal&sing. maps
    •Lifetime maps¹
    •Vehicle suction cup mount²
    •Vehicle power cable
    •Quick start manual

Micro SD card is not included. Specifications of the device can be found here Garmin India | Products | On The Road | nüvi® 40LM India

Thanks for fiatlover and ramjn for all PMs that had send to clarify my queries. :)
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Can any one, using garmin can tell me how much time it take to charge the device from a USB port of a laptop/desktop? I have read on forums that charging using USB port is much much slow than AC adapter or car charger.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is one thing I never tried :D.
    I use the GPS in my car keeping it charged always while in use.
    1 person likes this.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Your car is a flowing river. Never stops. So the question of charging never comes. In my case the use is very less. :) So I have to think of another source.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    Hey Sun, If any device is charged through laptop/desktop USB port, will always take longer time. Now a days most of the mobile comes with similar mini-USB port. You can use any such mobile charger for charging it.

I've never come across a situation where the device is out of charge. Car's charges charges the device much faster than it's consumption. So, even if you keep it for 45-60 mins of Car's charging, it will fully recharge it.

Are you going to use it somewhere apart from Car ? If not, then you dont need any other charging mode.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Im having Nokia 5800 Express Music purchased from Saudi in 2009,its working fine.
    and also tried with Nokia OVI Maps it was working good in saudi,but in india its getting confused with the streets :D , i remember when i want to exit hyd city from PVR central and finally i ended up there itselves with use of Nokia OVI maps.
    Hence now decided to install Google Maps for Symbian OS on my mobile.

Do we have voice guided google maps ? does any one have this ?
    1 person likes this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    My workplace is 1km from my home. So the use of car is once in a while for a long trip. I want to go through the features of device and thought if I can charge it at home it will be fine. I am using the USB connector of my transcend storage device now. If charger is there then I can use it at home after charging it quickly.

New models comes with voice guidance. Cashier has mentioned in previous post that his Motorla defy has voice navigation.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I think this would be one you are looking for:
    CIGARETTE LIGHTER SOCKET ADAPTER EU PLUG AC TO 12V DC CAR CHARGER HOME SWITCH | eBay

Jai GOOGLE!
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012