1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    Well, Frankly speaking I haven't explored all the features of the device yet. May be because most of the time I have traveled on the known routes, so I have just used it as point to point navigation. Though it has bluetooth, it's pretty useless for me since mine is emotion pack which already has bluetooth.

I think routes is something that you create. For e.g. If you want to go from point A to point B, the device will give you two options; shorter route or quick route. But in some cases you may know there exists a third route which is more convenient. In this case, you can define a waypoint which falls on the third route. So, based on this way point, device will select the third route. Again, I haven't used this feature yet :)
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks. That is actually very useful feature because one can get the best route from other sources and feed it to the device. But I think even though the lower version doesn't have it one can break the trip in to parts and then give destination as one after another. So that the device guide us through the route that we want. I haven't got the device yet so it just a guess:)
  3. Cashier

Cashier Amatore

Mumbai
    IMAGE_200.jpg

This is the best I could do for you guys to get an Idea, this is SYGIC application on my Motorola Defy
    1 person likes this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    The size is pretty good to view. It looks like display in mobile is far better than GPS.
    My GPS haven't reached yet. They are taking lot of time to ship it. I will wait for couple of days and if it hasn't reached I will have a second thought about having a new mobile phone with maps.
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks redbull!! mine is version 6.0. found it following the steps told by you!
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    The GPS device has its own advantages. I don't know how the navigation works on Mobile phones. If they are using the mobile network for the purpose of navigation, then it is useless. GPS device would work anywhere as it directly connects with the satellites.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    It uses a GPS connection. Now days they are cheap. One will get it for ~90rs for 2GB which is pretty good. One advantage with mobile phone is the quality of hardware. We cannot compare the quality of best mobile phones with a GPS device. Look at here Mapmyindia GPS navigator VX140S review - Page 3 - Team-BHP
    But for the main purpose,Navigation, no doubt GPS which will be handy.
  8. Cashier

Cashier Amatore

Mumbai
    It uses GPS not GPRS if that is what you mean, does not rely on Mobile Network, the maps have to be Downloaded, I have downloaded for Maharashtra and Goa, you can download for any Country and City

9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore

This is a common problem due to heat with all brands of GPS. For this reason it is advised not to leave the GPS on the windscreen when its not being used! Initially I was not aware of this, even my MMI has expanded a bit! Now I always keep it in glovebox when not in use!!
  10. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    There are advantages and disadvantages of both. Both are built for specific purposes. Dedicated GPS will always be better than mobile navigation. But then, you can live with mobile navigation considering you can spend that much extra on mobile which you will save by not buying GPS.

Following are advantages of dedicated GPS device over mobile :
    1. No tension of calls. Imagine you are dependent on mobile GPS and somebody calls.
    2. If you miss a turn or change the route, GPS device automatically re-calculates the route. Mobile device cannot (I assume)
    3. Battery of mobile will drain faster if you are using mobile GPS
    4. POI is much better in Dedicated GPS devices
    5. Accuracy of a dedicated GPS device is much higher (+/- 5 meters), while that of mobile navigation is +/- 20 meters

It is like mobile camera vs digital camera. Digital camera will always have better quality pics than mobile camera.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012