1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    For now I am trying to get a Mobile GPS turn by turn navigation App for IOS.
    I have been checking out few Apps:
    - Sygic: GPS Navigation (Rs. 2200 India) , Rs.2500 World (65%discount)
    - Sygic & MapmyIndia: GPS Navigation (Rs.2200)
    - NaviMaps: GPS Navigation (Rs. 599) (Latest Map: Rs.299)

I would like to hear recommendation and suggestion on which one is better and why.

Or is it advisable to go for Garmin unit for the sake of usability and reliability. Even if I have to get a Garmin, it will be sometime later after couple of month.
    I need something reliable and useful offline turn by turn navigation until I could invest on the GPS hardware.
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Sygic & MMI have now separated. If you've previous version of Sygic and if you try to update maps, it'll stop working. The new version, though, is again a free version. I liked the earlier version though.

For Android, I tried & use following:

1. Sygic
    2. Open Street Maps - OSMAnd
    3. NaviMAPS
    prihir likes this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Sapam, the Here Maps on Lumia phone (if you have one) work great too. Apart from that Tom Tom is great, haven't used Garmin or others.

Also coming to iOS. Link here.
    rajeev_pillai likes this.
  4. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @asimpleson, thanks for the info. I'll sure check it out too when it happens.

Today I tested NaviMaps by MMI, the UI (non Map) seems a bit sluggish. Now am trying Sygic so far the UI is very fluidic and smooth. Btw, I am using IOS8 on iPhone 5C. At the moment I am not ready to invest on a GPS dedicated device as there are other priorities right now.
    So, I can stretch for a near perfect Mobile App (IOS). Sygic looks interesting, though I'll have to shell out Rs.2200 for India or Rs. 2500 for World (the world offer is a steal though). I'll be doing more test in the 7 days trial I got now. But, if someone is using NaviMaps or Sygic already, the feedback will be highly useful.
  5. VIJENDRA SINGH

VIJENDRA SINGH Amatore

DIBIYAPUR
    Linea T-Jet
    @Sapam , I got Tomtom & it works perfectly but you need to make sure the destination is available in the device before hand or else while planning get the cordinates from google maps & feed it in gps. Once the destination is set, there is no stoping.
  6. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    @VIJENDRA SINGH I too have TomTom Start 20 GPS and I find it really unreliable. I have done 4-5 long trips on which plan was to use TomTom but either place is not found or wrong route is planned. Everytime ended up using Google maps hence found them better than TomTom.
  7. VIJENDRA SINGH

VIJENDRA SINGH Amatore

DIBIYAPUR
    Linea T-Jet
    @mangeshtendulkar
    Regarding route planning, I have option to add intermediate places of my wish. I am using Tomtom & its been very satisfactory till date.
  8. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    After considering many options, I am thinking of getting a dedicated GPS unit instead.
    So, based on my liking I have two models listed.
    1) Garmin Nuvi 42LM - Rs.5555
    2) Garmin Nuvi 52LM or 55LM - Rs. 8178 (52LM) and Rs. 9390 (55LM)

Nuvi 42 is 10.9 cm (4.3 inch display)
    Nuvi 52LM/55LM is 12.7 cm (5 inch display)

Nuvi 42 and Nuvi 52 have the same feature except the screen size diff.

Nuvi 55 has the following additional feature.
    1) myTrends™ (predicts your routes)
    2) Auto sort multiple destinations (provides most direct route)
    3) View upcoming points of interest along route
    4) Trip Planner

All have the same resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, so Nuvi 42 will have sharper image.

I am okay with the size of 4.3 inch ( smaller blind spot footprint on the windscreen ).
    Also, I don't want Bluetooth connectivity and Reverse camera etc.

But am not sure if I'll be missing those (4) additional features the Nuvi 55 has.

Any advice from experience users?
  9. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    @Sapam - Did you bought any? I am also looking for a navigation device. plug and play type.
    Any pointers?
  10. Subhendusc

Subhendusc Amatore

Kolkata
    Kolkata
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Can anyone suggest a good android / nokia handset that has GPS in offline mode also. I need good GPS to use for navigation