1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    i face this problem almost every time i re-mount the GPS holder. Atleast 2-3 times it falls. every time the holder falls, i try to put it in slightly different position. if it does not fall after driving for next 10-15 mins then i mount the GPS on the holder. till now i have been successful with this hit and trial method for the last 2.6 yrs!

nowadays i try not to remove the holder from its place for this reason only. remove only the GPS whenever required.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Wiping both the suction cup and the glass with a damp cloth, just before mounting helps to a certain extent.

Rajan
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Satguide released a new map update in May. I came to know from one of their campaign emails.
    As per the email, maps are sold at 50% discount.
    I, being an existing customer, was supposed to get the update free of cost, but hadn't received any communication from them. I wrote a 'nice' reply to the campaign mail. In less than an hour, I got their reply containing the link to download the update.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I bought map for my Garmin from Satguide in 2011. Some how I missed the micro SD card. When I checked with Satguide, they are helpless and asked me buy the map again. :(
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Even I bought in Sept 2011. They sent me an SD card containing the maps. If you misplaced the SD card, that should not be a reason for denying the map update you are eligible for. Your email should have the transaction record of your purchase. That should be sufficient for them to confirm that you are a genuine customer.

This was my nice reply to satguide campaign:
  6. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Problem with Satguide map is that they are hardware locked. I cannot copy the map to another SD card and use it. I mailed them my old transaction details and told that I can pay some amount for the replacement card. But, they denied it saying that I have to purchase it afresh. They might have thought that I am lying and may use both the maps.
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    In my case, I bought the IMG file for Garmin devices. If your device is provided by satguide, I doubt whether anything can be done. If it is a Garmin supported device, there are workarounds.
    BTW, the new map files come to 520 MB and not in IMG format, but there are several files. They have also given the installation instructions. I need to check whether its works fine.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I too have Garmin only. The provided the map in a SD card and it works good only if we use the SD card provided by them. If I copy the map files to another SD card and it doesn't work. I don't know if there is a work around for this. I still have the Satguide map file copy in my Laptop but not able to use it.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    By mistake, they sent me the wrong files. Later they sent the IMG file having just 200mb. Unsure what all it contains. Latest Garmin India map is 900+MB, and MMI is 500+ MB
  10. Okay, after launching Sygic, it downloaded 1005MB of maps, but it failes to recognise most common places like napoklu or bagamandala. MMI has few years before they can catchup with Google.