1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Galaxy tab 2 P3110.

Will sure do so, if I go for it.
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    To save the battery get a blue tooth gps receiver and pair it with the mobile device.

Guys who need Sygic pm me.
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Not sure if a mobile device can be paired to two systems simultaneously.
    Given that mobile will be already paired with blue&me
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Yes it can be paired. I have paired it with Blue n me, GPS receiver and the bluetooth obd scanner.
    1 person likes this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    That is correct. I have also paired my Android tablet with external GPS, OBD II scanner and Blue & Me simultaneously

Rajan
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    1. Both MMI and Garmin uses freely available US satellites for navigation. That's what I read somewhere. Advantage when you use either of these is that you don't need mobile/data connection to use the GPS device. You just need the device loaded with maps.
    3. I understand GMaps need just data connection to work, can be 3G or 2G (GPRS).

You can consider buying a Garmin device with preloaded India maps. Their coverage of cities is pretty good and is updated every 3-6 months. Garmin devices come with lifetime map updates. From my limited experience, MMI is works well for highways and remote areas, not saying that its coverage of cities is bad, but I think Garmin has an advantage here. Garmin is good for cities because it is frequently updated.

MMI makes maps for Garmin devices too. So you can have both the maps on the same device.

Whenever you take a wrong turn from the route plotted by the device, it recalculates the route if there is a route available. If there is no route, it asks you to come back (take U-turn).
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    More tests from my MMI.
    Yday i had gone to koramangala and asked MMI to give me directions. The route it plotted was not particularly the closest nor the fastest but when i overrode it and took it via another direction it was intelligent enough to recalculate the new routes and it took me exactly to the spot i had marked.

I've verified the same with Gmaps on phone as well. I found out that Gmaps was giving an approximate route only.
    With Gmaps I could be anywhere within 20-30mts from the destination but with MMI i was only at a stone throw distance.

On saturday i had gone on a long night drive to kanakapura and i fired up MMI driving through the very interiors of that place.(Trust me at 1AM these roads are just fun and lonely to drive on)
    MMI picked up my location immediately and guided me back home and even there I was able to see that MMI mapped the contours of the road exactly.

Problems
    I've heard that MMI has options to choose the fastest route as well but thus far I"m not able to find where that option is hidden!
    I used it yday and for some reason the device just hung and i had to reset it.

Verdict.
    MMI is definitely a capable device and the maps are really accurate and in 3D view there are some really good features up for viewing.
    Hardware wise Garmin with MMI maps must be a good option. But this device is definitely a good buy IMO
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    On the bottom left corner of the screen, there is 'Route' option. Click that, it will show 'Fastest/Shortest/Avoid Toll Road'. Select the fastest. It will save the changes automatically.
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    My Lx130 Gets V 8.0 Maps

Now, my 3.5 year old MMI Lx130 navigator has got the new version 8.0 maps. Yesterday, I bought 2-year map upgrade plan costing rupee-symbol.gif 1,750 comprising 4 map upgrades in 2 calendar years. Earlier, my Lx130 had v6.0, 6.1, 7.0 and 7.1 maps under the same plan. I got the link to download the map files immediately, which I downloaded and copied in my Lx130. Today, I received the licence files from MMI. But, when I loaded them in my navigator, it did not go beyond the opening menu. After few telephonic calls with the support team of MMI, I downloaded the map files again today from the link given and reloaded them into my Lx130 with the licence files as suggested by the support team. Voila! It works perfectly alright now. :) It seemed there was some interruption during my yesterday's downloading resulting in a bug that created problem.
    1 person likes this.
  10. PankajJoshi

PankajJoshi Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Linea 1.4