1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    so what's the verdict then. should i go with MMI or not.
    I'm also thinking of replacing the clutch .(Nothing really wrong with it but i'm planning a very long drive shortly and my clutch is a bit hard so want to be on a safe side)
  2. Probably you can also try with Sygic maps on your Android (I believe they also use MMI based maps) which provides offline navigation as well before taking a final call. or have you already tried your hands with it?
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    It does recalculate based on your current position. MMI works with multiple satellites. For Google maps you would need mobile network.

One thing missing in MMI is alternate route option. Some of the other dedicated GPS devices like Garmin have this option. But as far as map accuracy is concerned, i have heard MMI is the best.
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    You could try the Sygic navigation as well if you have an andriod device, does not require data usage or the mobile network. The maps are comprehensive as well and will need a one time effort to download the maps preferably through Wifi.

I have been using this for almost 6 months now and it is quite decent.
  5. cannonera

cannonera Amatore

Bangalore
    Can't Agree more with you... I have been using it for more than a year now... Very Nice Interface and Voice Guidance is also Good (Emma's the Best!). The only itch is when you take a deviation or detour, it pesters you to take U-turns at every possible junction. I overcome this handicap by adding clearer waypoints.

Regards,
    Hari
  6. raj29

raj29 Superiore

I have used Sygic Navigation on android and iOS phones extensively from almost 18months and see them working effectively.
    I have MMI device from almost 6 months but have not used it so far as the Sygic Navigation does the job well for me.

Have used Navfree India maps (on Android/iOS) too but very less they seem to be good as well, but Sygic scores well for me.
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  7. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    I am generally lothe to spend money on a navigation app, but Sygic - mapMyIndia is available on Playstore for 699/- only for a limited period.

What say guys, should I go for it? I need a truly offline navigator to use on my tab which does not have sim support.

PS : I have Navfree & Mapfactor (both free) installed, but they don't have very good address finding capability. Don't have many of the roads in their database.
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  8. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Linear: At 699 its a good offer , but how long they would provide the map udpates that matters the most.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    It mentions "Free map updates" but no mention of any period. Even if it is for a couple of years, I feel it's good price.
  10. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    yups worth while, which device do you have?
    If you have anything over 1ghz processsing and good ram, then it should be doing good.
    But mobiles have tendency of losing battery faster than charning, so in long run this could be a problem vis-a-vis dedicated gps unit.
    But then 699/- vs 6000+ for dedicated, makes 699 a beautiful and very good offer :)

If you purchase it do let us know buying experince and map data details with update period