1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    May be I am not aware of this. Is Garmin having their own maps for India? I know only the Mapmyindia and Satguide maps. Not aware of other maps available for the Garmin devices.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Garmin does have their own map and it is pretty good. They are fast catching up with MMI by releasing updates every 4-5 months. Garmin uses Navteq maps

[video]http://www8.garmin.com/updatemaps/navteq.html[/video]
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. rajankamboj

rajankamboj

shimla
    I have recently purchased a all in one device whose details are given here . Wholesale Car Rearview Mirror - GPS, Radar detector From China
    I was quite impressed with the feature list as it had all i.e GPS + reverse parking assist + Radar Detect + bluetooth + Infotainment. However i missed the most important part of using GPS i.e compatible INDIA MAPS. It is win CE 6.0 device. I am not sure whether MMI maps can be used on this device. The special note on GPS mentions "This model is compatible with most brands of GPS software, such as TomTom, iGO, Route66 etc. - however hardware specific software such as Garmin may not run on this unit." It has two micro SD slots , one for navigation S/wand offline maps and other to record DVR. Can the experts please help me suggesting the best way to use its GPS.
    I have yet to install this device in my Tjet. but i feel it can be installed replacing the mirror.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I think Navfree is available for Windows CE. Just check it out.

Rajan
  5. rajankamboj

rajankamboj

shimla
    There seems to be some problem with navfree website.I am not able to download the S/w from their website.

Is their any possibility of using google navigation for win CE . I am quite happy with Google navigation Maps and their voice assist feature.

Also is it not that all MMI devices are win CE based ? If so can we not use the MMI maps.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The advantage with Navfree is that it does not require an internet connection, unless you want to search for something. If you already have a data connection that you can use, then Google should be good as well.

Rajan
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I"m contemplating buying MMI for my upcoming trip and almost as soon as i started looking at its functioning i started dive into doubts .
    When i compare MMI and Gmaps I see that Gmaps is pretty good in Tier 1 and some Tier 2 cities but for the rest MMI is way better.

Based on this I have a few questions.

1.) Does MMI use its own sattelites to get a GPS lock? (which are better than the ones Google is using!!)
    2.) In a tier 1 city if i compare MMI and Gmaps do they turn out to be the same?
    3.) Do i need 3g connection always to ensure proper navigation via Gmaps? If so then how does MMI manage to do the same navigation only with GPS?

Reasons for my doubt
    I have 3 android devices 2 of them are phones with big screens and 1 10" tab itself. If i use Gmaps on that I know that battery drains out quite fast but even in MMI the battery is said to last for 1 hr or so. Hence I dont want to simply invest money in a device that will give me the same navigation as Gmaps.

- - - Merged Post - - -

I have used Gmaps in blr and chennai and though it took me through some bad stretches . Gmaps also recalculated the routes in case i made a bad turn but eventually it guided me to the right location anyway
  8. With GMaps you have to bear the additional cost of data usage.
    Having said that, regarding way points..if you deviate from what MMI is showing, it'll irritate you to no end till the time you come back to original route as plotted by it. Some times as good as diving from a flyover :evilsmile
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    but i hear it recalculates the route based on your position.
    That's how it should ideally work
  10. Ideally, it should. But I feel, it also depends on the map coverage in the corresponding area you are in. It calculates your changed position, but instead of plotting new route based on that position, it tries to ask you come back to the original route from that position.