1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Most probably the device is not linking to the satellite...
  2. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    I purchased Garmin Nuvi 40LM two days back for Rs 8K and agent has promised me to give mini USB cable as it doesn’t come with standard packing, but it is loaded with City Navigator NT 2012.20. I want to upload latest version Garmin City Navigator India NT 2012.40 which is around 694MB file & takes hell lot of time. My device shows around 1GB free space, so my question is if I upload latest version, old version will be deleted or not?
    The sales guy of Garmin agent delivered GPS at my residence, which was not in a sealed box, but he said that they need to open & check the contents before delivering it. Though the device looks new & working perfectly fine, my only doubt is packing box shows date of import July 2012. If City Navigator NT 2012.20 was the version coming in devices during that time or City Navigator NT 2012.30 was launched in July 2012.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    It gets overwritten. Only the latest map will remain. I suggest you use an SD card with at least 2GB memory. Standard data cables that come with portable hard disks can be used with it.
  4. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    I'm just in the learning phase of using car navigation. Today my Garmin 40lm misguided twice. Once when I selected shorter route option, it took me to narrow streets, where I had to cross on mud & scrap car belly. Next when I selected for fast route it took major road though there was a short & fast road option available. Even when I selected detour it still not showing right option. I think these device are good on highway drives but in cities one must have a local knowledge of the area, blindly following GPS will take you longer or sometime bad roads but good thing is it will take you to the destination without asking anyone on road.
    On a different note, I am just wondering how to delete trip log data to maintain privacy or device misuse in case of lost device or theft? If anyone knows, kindly share your advice here
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Spot on. In the Indian context, where the road condition depends on the next election and the next election depends on unpredictable factors, the GPS programmers have shrewdly given only options of shortest and fastest route and left out the option of Best Road route :D

While the GPS is very handy and helpful to have, the best bet is to pull over and ask for directions. The local paan shop wala knows about the pipeline digging work on a road that was only laid last month. The GPS does not.

Rajan
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    There is one more option called Avoidances. Setting this option will not make the device work perfect, but it will guide better. I agree that it is not of much use where road condition changes on a weekly or monthly basis.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Two ways you can do this:
    1. Disable the Save log option on the device.
    2. Connect the device to your PC and delete the log files manually. Logs are saved as .gpx files. The latest log file will have the file name current.gpx.
    See this post: http://www.teamfiat.co.in/gadgets-e...vices-mobile-navigation-etc-9.html#post142845
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    Route avoidance option is available in 40lm? I coudn't find how to do that?
    I find just to hide trip log but can't disable it to be recorded on device
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    See these options:

12225.jpg

9432.jpg

This is mostly in the US context, but info on unpaved roads would be useful for the device to work better.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    21944.jpg Recently I traveled from Dehradun to Delhi, Jaipur & Ajmer. My companion to guide me route was Garmin 40LM. I have a very good as well very bad experience with routes suggested by it. Device is excellent & sturdy gives you loud & clear instructions but routes suggested by it are not the best one to travel. Lots of the time I had to ignore it otherwise when I followed, it took me on a very narrow, congested or even when there was a kachha road. So my take is to do a route planning on google maps & then feed via routes when feeding in your trip in GPS. Sometimes when I knew a better & faster route, GPS was still suggesting me to take diversion to the highway & at every turn it calculates, which was annoying a bit.

I must admit also that without Garmin travelling on totally unknown territory would never be so easy. It gives you a sense of confidence that even if you take a wrong turn, this device will guide you to your destination by some different route. You don't have to stop on roadside & look for roadside assistance, though its a best practice to reconfirm with local people in cities, which are the best route guides.

Another interesting thing I noticed that I can view my tracks & other statistics on Google Earth google earth.jpg

So hardware wise this device is 8.5/10 & maps wise is 6.75/10

23220.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Map updates for Garmin CNT users:
    garmin2013.10.jpg