1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

  1. theblack

    theblack Esperto

    Messages:
    2,188
    Bangalore
    Sir perhaps your the best person to answer my query here...

    Have you used Google Navigation (provided on all andriod phones,these days).
    If you were to compare G-Nav with MMI what is it that MMI does better that G-NAV cannot?

    I"m also contemplating buying MMI but wanted to know if it really would be useful .
    To the places I've traveled and used G-NAV , it has been quite accurate (to about 30mtrs)..
    There are times where i've blindly followed G-NAV and its brought me safe and sound to my destination.. Could you please elaborate?
  2. J Ravi

    J Ravi Esperto

    Messages:
    2,293
    Bangalore
    Since I don't have Android phone with Google navigation, I cannot do a comparison between the two. But, I do use a stand-alone PND, MapMyIndia Lx130 with the latest v7.1 maps, which guides properly 95% of the times. The remaining 5% goes for total chaos. For example, it took me to a main road in Kolkata at 6 am and declared destination reached, where I could not find my hotel! I reached my actual destination after getting help from a gentleman, who piloted me in his Swift upto my hotel.:) However, I do use both MapMyIndia and Google Maps in my laptop for my trip planning.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  3. redbull

    redbull

    Messages:
    292
    Bangalore
    Two years ago I had bought mapmyindia sygic for my mobile. It used to crash for android 2.2. People were reporting the same in the Facebook page as well. They could never help me out and when I asked for refund they stopped responding. From that time I promised myself I'll never "buy" their stuff. The internet helped me to recover my money's worth ;-)

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  4. redbull

    redbull

    Messages:
    292
    Bangalore

    The reroute/new route feature needs data connectivity in gmaps.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  5. sungoa2010

    sungoa2010

    Messages:
    2,878
    Goa
    When we use the GPS is it possible is it possible to trace it in the internet? Does any mapping device provide that option?
  6. J Ravi

    J Ravi Esperto

    Messages:
    2,293
    Bangalore
    My MMI Lx130 navigator enables downloading of GPS logs, which could be seen on Google Earth. Here are the GPS logs recorded during my Leh trip.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. sungoa2010

    sungoa2010

    Messages:
    2,878
    Goa
    That means some one at home can exactly see your current location while you travel. Is it?
    This is useful when travelling alone and family can get updated about our location.
  8. J Ravi

    J Ravi Esperto

    Messages:
    2,293
    Bangalore
    No, sungoa2010. It is not live. As I mentioned, the GPS logs were recorded. If you want to see the position live, you must have vehicle tracking device fitted to your vehicle. Here are the details of MMI Vehicle Tracking Device. Alternatively, you can connect your mobile phone with Google Latitude. It will show your whereabouts.
    1 person likes this.
  9. sungoa2010

    sungoa2010

    Messages:
    2,878
    Goa
    Thanks Ravi sir:)
    1 person likes this.
  10. PatchyBoy

    PatchyBoy Esperto

    Messages:
    2,438
    Bangalore
    If you have an android device with GRPS connection as well, or are using your Android phone as your navigation device, then there are apps available that will SMS your GPS co-ordinates at scheduled intervals. You can use this feature to help your family track your position.

    But are you sure you want to do that? ;)

    Rajan

Share This Page