1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    This is the first time i used Google Navigation.. and here are my impressions on it...

Being in chennai was a good time to try out G-Navigation .. From the past 1 week I'm constantly using it and at least in a place like chennai i would say G-Nav is really really good.

Accuracy to hotels and all other places is almost +-30mts (which is not bad at all)...
    I had one incident a few days back where I had to find a way from vadapalani to Manapakkam (a total 7kms, as shown by google).
    On the return trip it took me through some of the most narrowest roads (I would like to be on in my punto). But never missed a beat.. I was brought safely to my destination as well..

On day 1 when i came here it guided me clearly from tambaram to my guest house.
    I had never used G-Nav till date underestimating its capabilities on indian terrain but it does a terrific job.
    (there were a few times i took wrong turns as well, and automatically the route was recalculated.)

So my suggestion would be to invest in a good phone with a big enough screen (at least 4") and use it as a NAV device..
    The results are really good..

I'm not sure how NAV works in remote areas but as of now i'm thoroughly satisfied with it ...

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Battery drain is an imminent issue but then even a dedicated GPS device looses juice quite quickly (is what i've heard)..
  2. which navigation device is provided with emotion absolute edition
  3. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  4. I am planning to buy grand punto emotion . is it the right time to buy or wait for the diwali offer or any new facelift comming in 2013 please suggest me soon oct offer is one day left i am from jharkhand ranchi
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    New MMI v7.1 Maps

Just a few minutes back, I successfully updated the maps of my MapMyIndia Lx130 navigator to the new version 7.1. As usual, MapMyIndia did not bother to inform me of the latest version. I used to visit their website every now and then to know about the release of new version. Yesterday, I saw the new version of the maps here. Another thing I noticed was, when I logged in to my account, my registered device details were not there! I tried to re-register my device, but in vain. Immediately, I sent mail to the customer support of MapMyIndia raising these two issues. Today, I promptly received the upgraded map files and licence files in two separate mails. But, they conveniently kept quiet about the vanishing of my registered device details from my account! I downloaded the files, unzipped them and replaced the old ones with the new ones. I also copied and pasted my favourites from the previous version and pasted in the MapMyIndia folder of the new version so that I can have them in the new maps. Otherwise, the favourites folder in the new version will be empty.

Some of the features I noticed in the new version: NH numbers are prominently visible even in the route overview mode. English UK [in addition to English US] has been introduced in the languages option. Of course, more number of cities and PoI have been added.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    1 person likes this.

6. My MMI device version is 6,I have been thinking about updating it,how do I do it?Do I need to transfer money in their account and then they will e-mail me the map links?or they will courier me the maps in a memory card?
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Details are available in the link I provided in my post.:)
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Ravi Sir, Some times we get a chance to do software updation also. So the registration details will be required then. I was wondering how it can disappear suddenly?
    1 person likes this.
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I think that disappearing of my device details from my account in MapMyIndia might have happened during the recent revamping of MapMyIndia website.:O
    1 person likes this.
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I had purchased maps from satguide, me too never got a notification about map/sw updates, they seem to be least bothered. These people are more interested in new customers. They dont have the brains to think that they need to keep existing customers happy to gain more new customers. "underground web sites" inform you more promptly about map updates than these folks!

For Garmin device and maps users, they just need to connect to internet to know about software or map updates. The only condition is that, they should have Garmin communicator plug-in installed.
    1 person likes this.