1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    What I am afraid in malayalam is if I miss a turn how the speaker will respond. In spoken malayalam the use of thangal(aap in hindi ) is very rare. So hope I will get a chance to hear good Malayalam at least from Garmin.
  2. harry_1407

harry_1407 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Team I am planning to buy a navigation device for my punto. All these days I was using my SGS2 but it has its disadvantages like network issue in remote part of India, and battery drain frequently hence thought of buying a dedicated device. Please share you
    Inputs on which device is bang for bucks my budget max is 7K.

Thanks in advance.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  3. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I am also looking for a dedicated GPS but confused between Map My India , Garmin & Tomtom. Which of these three has the most accurate maps?
  4. MMI road pilot II is your best option,a VFM device.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

MMI are more accurate,and over time its expanding its base,so user experience will become better thats guaranteed...
  5. Has anybody used Nokia Drive ???
    Last weekend, I drove to thiruthuraipoondi, near tanjore. I wanted to try the Bing Maps navigation in my wife's Windows 7 Phone. I didn't like it at all. The reasons being

1. The Bing Maps suggests only one route unlike google which suggests many possible route from which we can select one.
    2. The Bing maps dosen't allow adding destination in between routes. Say for example Start is Chennai and End is coimbatore, I cannot insert Krishnagiri in the middle. If I need to, then I should set (Current Location) Chennai to Krishnagiri first and after reaching Krishnagiri, Set Current Location (krishnagiri) to Coimbatore.
    3. The Only route that Bing supports is also not the shortest. In the sense, When I have to take the Karaikaal - nagapatinam - Velaankani - Thirutharaipoondi, the map forms routes that goes into all the towns instead of making the routs through the bypass. Relying on the Maps, I went into all the towns and when I exit the town, I see a bypass that connects skipping the town. Waste of time and fuel.

So I was thinking of dropping the idea of going for a Windows Phone 8, and instead go for an Android. Anyway, I wanted to know how sophisticated Nokia Drive is before deciding on a android.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Has anybody used Nokia Drive ???
    Last weekend, I drove to thiruthuraipoondi, near tanjore. I wanted to try the Bing Maps navigation in my wife's Windows 7 Phone. I didn't like it at all. The reasons being

1. The Bing Maps suggests only one route unlike google which suggests many possible route from which we can select one.
    2. The Bing maps dosen't allow adding destination in between routes. Say for example Start is Chennai and End is coimbatore, I cannot insert Krishnagiri in the middle. If I need to, then I should set (Current Location) Chennai to Krishnagiri first and after reaching Krishnagiri, Set Current Location (krishnagiri) to Coimbatore.
    3. The Only route that Bing supports is also not the shortest. In the sense, When I have to take the Karaikaal - nagapatinam - Velaankani - Thirutharaipoondi, the map forms routes that goes into all the towns instead of making the routs through the bypass. Relying on the Maps, I went into all the towns and when I exit the town, I see a bypass that connects skipping the town. Waste of time and fuel.

So I was thinking of dropping the idea of going for a Windows Phone 8, and instead go for an Android. Anyway, I wanted to know how sophisticated Nokia Drive is before deciding on a android.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Go for Garmin with MMI maps..
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am currently using MMI V7.0 with the Garmin device. Previously, I have used Satguide map with Garmin. To be honest, neither is accurate in India but MMI is better than Satguide. Our best bet as of now for India would be MMI. This doesn't mean that MMI is best.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I have this and I am very satisfied. Since the GPS receiver is external, it is very accurate as compared to the built in A-GPS in phones. Never used a MMI or Garmin device, so cannot comment on that.

The advantage with this setup, as I see it is, this is scalable. I have already ordered a ELM OBD2 scanner and purchased the Torque Pro App. Wire it to the AUX in of the stock HU and I can play music and video from the device. None of this would be possible with a dedicated GPS device.

Just my 2 cents.

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Had an opportunity to test malayalam voice. I would say that Garmin has done a good job there. It seems they got a professional voice expert to do this.
  10. someshvar

someshvar Timido

Bangalore
    I am looking for a GPS device for my Punto. Has anyone got a chance to use Map My India Carpad or Carpad 5 that comes along with absolute edition? At first glance it seem to be a good product but then first hand experience counts more than the glance. Any advice/suggestions are welcome.