1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. chandu525

chandu525 Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks for the info, which phone did you use? I am also planning a similar trip during dusshera time!, I have already booked a galaxy S3 for the same, Hope its battery won't give me trouble while using maps!
  2. I used Sony Neo L,S3 should work absolutely fine, Only problem I faced was phone rebooted on it's own once due to overheating as I had plugged in the power source all the time, there after i used plug in the power cord only if the battery is less than 30%.
  3. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

if ur using google navigation..once the route is calculated.. it does't need data.. but if u take a wrong turn.. it won't reroute unless ur have a network..

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

same here. i used google navigation for my trip from cochin to goa and back.. close to 2000 kilometers. and only time it failed was when the raod was closed to construction.. apart from that..even every hotels, clubs and tourist locations were spot on..

now. this is good for long distance travel.. but i had a really bad experince with the same in banglore city.. because google map chooses shortest route.. it avaoid the by passes and main roads.. and took thru old small congest and narrow roads.. which i believe most of the u may have not seen..

but still i love it...
  4. In bangalore small roads are fastest way to reach the destination:)
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    If there is a construction or diversion navigating devices will also give false information. For example at Devnagare in NH4 my garmin was continuously asking me to take a U turn in next junction. But it was a diversion. I switched the device to map mode and driven.
  6. Even I faced the same issue on MMI few times, but greatest of them are it used to tell me to take diversions where there is a stone wall!! but google seem to have managed this well.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Garmin now gives voice guidance in regional languages. Here is a mail I received today. All you need will be a software update, installing the required voice files.

regional language support.jpg
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks for the information. Just curious to hear garmin speaking my mother tongue. It will be a surprise for my wife and son.
    Will it be Ms. Sangeetha who will be talking all these languages. :lol
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Sangeetha's English was not as musical as the name implies, and I switched back to the US one. I want to try the malayalam one though.
    Suddently reminded of the mahouts giving directions to elephants :D:D
  10. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
    Do anyone of you have maps for a Win CE 6.0 device?