1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    I'm currently using Google navigation with voice & traffic for free...

This is on my DROID RAZR...

The expereince has been awesome..even some very small roads...some not even present last week are updated now..

Re-routing ..i.e if u take a wrong route happens in seconds...

Just go for it...
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    First question is whether we want only navigation or other things like blue tooth and mp3 player etc. If don't want I think one shouldn't invest in those things. Garmin nuvi 40LM/50LM comes within 9K and worth to consider. But as you said for Maps MMI is the best. Garmin also support MMI maps.
  3. Try VX140s,this is approx 9k,is really VFM...Using since last 1 year,very satisfied.
  4. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

What is the advantage of these navigation like MMI over google maps..!?? now that it works in India and every one can contribute.

The lane name of my home address was different and i informed them , received a email, stating they will look into the matter..

for a small town response may be slow.. but that won't be the same for Big cities. we can contribute..
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2012
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Normally the turnaround time is very less, whether it is city or small village. If we suggest a correction, they implement it in a days' time.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  6. We used to use google maps before,it did guide us to our destination always,but we were at the mercy of it..Most of the times in rural areas signal wont be there,we are on our own in those places,then most of the time it showed road which doesnt exist at all(once it brought us to the end of a cliff,with river running below,luckily it was during day time,else...)..Google maps is free solution to GPS,but if you are an avid traveller and need a dedicated GPS device,MMI it is...I really love this device,dont have to break my head over travelling to unknown places at all..
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    A Garmin device with MMI and CNT maps is the best combination. The device will never desert you.
    1 person likes this.
  8. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I want bluetooth (handy for my Honda City) and mp3 player as well.

From MMI's website, VX140 Premium is 2K more then VX140 and gives bluetooth & multimedia as well. Worth the stretch in budget I feel although installation of the reverse camera would be professional job I believe?

How about Zx250? In addition to what VX140 Premium offer's, it gives us 3D maps and reverse camera as well.

Is the accuracy better then MMI?

What I want from the device is ACCURACY. India, being the mess it is, the real test of any device is how well it guides us to our destination. That is the single most important thing I am looking for from my device. The rest of the stuff, like bluetooth, multimedia are only enhancer's to the product's core functionality. Basically, What I am saying is that for better accuracy I am willing to forego some of the enhancer feature's.

I don't want a device that's only good at highway's or main road's. The coverage should be for small city's, rural area's and back roads as well. Also, do these device's recalculate the route for you when you take a wrong turn anywhere? For example, the device say's go right and you go straight. Will it quickly recalculate either the new way from there or if there is no way from there then guide you back on the correct track?
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I felt CNT is better in cities. It has detailed coverage. When you go to smaller towns, MMI has better coverage and is more accurate. This is my personal experience.
    Another thing, they release map updates almost every 3-4 months, making them more accurate.
    Yes, it does route recalculation in a few seconds. If you take a wrong route, it shows you the next possible shortest route based on your device settings (distance, time, road type etc.). If there is no second route available to the destination, it will ask you to come back to the correct route.
  10. I used Google navigation during my 870 kms trip to dense jungles in western ghats, I must say it is far better than MMI or SatNav.
    Google navigation perfectly guided with important turn by turn voice assistance,It worked even in the places where there was no data connectivity in my phone, Don't as ask me how?

I had MMI mobile maps on my earlier cell but they seems to be tied up with he IMEI number(one way to increase the sales as customer will change the phone every 2-3 years), so tried downloading sygic maps but they seems to be a 15 day trial.
    Hence reluctantly used the Google,no doubt why google shares selling at $500+!!