1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks.
    Two times I found it didn't recognize that I have taken wrong route in flyovers. On the middle it is asking me to take a turn! The actual road was below the flyover.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

3. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    Hey Sun, Do you have the Junction view option? My 2465 had it. It shows you a 3D like picture (like below) when you approach a fly over. It is really helpful. The only problem is that not all the fly overs are updated in the maps.

Garmin.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Does it show automatically or do we have to click on the left top corner. If we click on navigation bar top it will show few of the junctions ahead with necessary discriptions(text) .According to manual it has the 3D junction view. . But I didn't check it. It didn't appear automatically any places during my visit to Banglore and chennai. If it is there then it will be more clear which one I have to take. In goa there is no flyover. I have to wait for my next trip to Banglore.
  5. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    I think it is activated by default. It will show up automatically while navigating. You don't have to do anything. But there is option of deactivating or placing it horizontally or vertically. For this to show up, junctions should be defined in the maps. I did not use my 2465 too much before selling it. So don't know how many junctions are defined. But I noticed them sometimes.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I had found that in my garmin 3 D maps options haven't selected in map setting . Now I have selected it and let me check whether junction view appear by default.
  7. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    Don't know whether it will solve the issue. Have you found any settings related to junction view?
  8. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Is that the fort (do not remember the name) just before entering Jaipur?
    1 person likes this.
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes, it was Amber Fort, Jaipur, Amar.
  10. puntojith

puntojith

Hyderabad
    I have a MMI 140s Navigator. It has a v 7 map. Bought it almost a few days after receiving my punto. My first long trip was to bangalore. But since the road has no diversion and since I knew the place jakkur onwards I hardly got an opportunity to use it. My wife declared that the device was a wasteful expenditure (I had just spent 5000 on seat covers). My next long trip was to srisailam. It was then that my wife and myself were convinced how useful and reliable this device is. The road would just make abrupt turns and there would be no way to determine at remote and uninhabited places which way to go.
    I find the maps and location very reliable. It easily detects whether I have climbed a flyover or missed it. On my recent trip to mumbai the GPS was easily the second most important piece of tech I had after the car itself! But during this trip I learned a lot of things that I would like to share-

1. Always review the details of the route that the device has selected for you. There would be parallel routes and the device might not have selected the one that you are interested in. For eg. the NH9 and expressway b/w pune and mumbai run parallel to each other. I did not have a problem while going but while returning I didnt have the time to review the route and missed the first entry to the expressway and had to drive along NH9 till panvel from thane wasting valuable time.

2. While selecting your destination make sure you select the exact building or street that you want to reach. If you give a vague location the device will select prior routes based on a fixed spot decided for that location. This way you might end up wasting lot of time and effort or even money for toll like what happened with me this time.

3. In case of selecting via points pin point roads for re routing rather than towns. Once you select a town the route will take you to a fixed location within the town (happened to me at saswad) away from the highway.

The accessories that come with my MMI is very cheap. My 11 month old son broke the charger cable plug into pieces when the devices was low on battery. I had to come up with a jugad to hold the pieces together and continue the journey.

Do I have to update the map that I have right now? Is the MMI map the best that we can get in India?

Also, an article I came across for those who use their phone as their navigators-
    http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/gadgets/article3640409.ece
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012