1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS navigation thread: Maps,software, devices,mobile navigation etc

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by sungoa2010, Jul 19, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    This thread is dedicated to discuss everything about navigation. Recently I was searching lot to find reviews and facts about GPS navigators and had to do lot of search in ownership threads to find out more about the devices that people are using. So I felt if we discuss all related things at one place it will be very convenient for all users. Now days there are other otionss available for navigation like smart phones with already installed maps.

I had ordered for garmin nuvi 40LM and will give a a short description once I receive the item. During the decision making period I had thought about going for a better mobile phone with maps then found that it will not be as handy as a dedicated navigator device. What is your openion about using cellphones as Navigator. Are they coming with windshield mounts so that we can use them like navigator?

People who are already using the GPS navigator can give a description of their device for use of forum members:)
    Harsh likes this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am using Garmin Nuvi 205W with MapMyIndia maps Verson 7.0. I have mixed feeling on the maps but satisfied with the device as such.

Are you also getting the maps along with the device Sun?
    1 person likes this.
  3. Cashier

Cashier Amatore

Mumbai
    I have installed Sygic a application available for Android Phones, it's pretty neat they have a Trial Period, and cost round about 3000 INR.
    1 person likes this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    How handy is this while driving? Can you fix it on windshield? Does it gives voice navigation also?

@ram: Yes the device is coming with a map. Also it come with a free lifetime map, which allow one to update it 4 times in a year, provided such updates are available.I am yet to figure out what is the condition they have put on the expiry of it. I have seen the 2565LM yesterday and it is very light and looks like build to last. The coast is on the higher side ~19K.Today I may get the 40LM which will be around 8.5K. A detailed review of 40/50LM can be found at Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation) - Team-BHP
  5. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    I am using Garmin 2465 with life time free map updates. The main reason for purchasing this was free map updates. I found it good.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I bought my MapMyIndiaLx130 navigator with v5.0 maps in December 2009. The hardware is made in China with a warranty of 6 months. But, it is still working alright even after 2.5 years. I had opted for a single map upgrade, and then, two year upgradation plan with 4 upgrades. Now, my MMI Lx130 navigator is equipped with the MMI v7.0 maps. I feel that my navigator guides me correctly to the spot 95% of the times. The remaining 5% goes for complete misguidance. During my recent Bhutan trip while searching for my hotel, it misguided by taking me to a wrong place in Kolkata early in the morning, whereas in Vizag, Guwahati and Puri, it guided me correctly. In nutshell, I am happy with my MMI Lx130 navigator.:)
    1 person likes this.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    It has bluetooth which is good. 40LM doesn't have blue tooth. Can you tell what is the extra feature that is there in 2465 than base version 40LM. One difference that I found was the route option which is not there in 40LM.

Waypoints/favorites/locations:1000
    Routes:0
    For 2465 Routes is 100. What does it mean? Is it that I cannot plan and store the route in 40 LM?
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I have garmin Nuvi 40, purchased from US. Actually it came with North America map. I tried to get the region changed to India, but they dont do that. However, I get all the software updates to garmin communicator. The Indian voice (sangeetha) came as part of such an update.

I have multiple maps on the device. I have been using it for the past one year in city as well as during travel and I find it to be very reliable. With updated maps getting released every six months or one year, these devices are very helpful and nearly 100% accurate.

I am not a big fan of using mobile phone for navigation, except of course, to call up someone and ask for directions :) . A dedicated navigation device is always helpful, mainly because a phone cannot provide the rich, useful features that a dedicated navigator provides.

There are winshield mounts for phones available on ebay.
    1 person likes this.
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    One feature that i miss in my MapMyIndia lx130 GPS is the detour option! it just shows one route!! I dont think this feature is available in any MMI device.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Here is the condition that garmin has put on the life time update.

"FREE lifetime map updates entitle you to receive up to 4 map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on the Garmin website, for this specific Garmin product only until this product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map data from its third party supplier, whichever is shorter. The updates you receive will be updates to the same geographic map data originally included with your Garmin product when originally purchased. Garmin may terminate your lifetime map updates at any time if you violate any of the terms of the End User License Agreement accompanying your nüvi product"

So there is a catch in the definition of lifetime of the device, which is the deciding factor of the period of free updates. But this is not a deal breaker as the device and the functions are pretty user friendly. Instead of loading with many features they have distributed the product to fit the pocket of bottom to top users without compromising on the core theme which is navigation.