1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS - Map My India - Unable to Upgrade the Map to version 6.x

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by Cubbie, May 13, 2011.

1. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    I brought the MMI road pilot recently and it is working fine and helped me a lot on my recent expedition to Goa and Pune...

However this device is carrying version 5.x which is old ..When you buy a MapmyIndia navigator, you receive the latest maps as of that day preloaded on your device/SD card which are for perpetual use.

Hence needed an upgrade which was made available free of cost by Map my India

However after downloading the map and copying them to the device, the device boots up but fails to load the map... tried it several times...
    Had to roll back the settings and previous map just works fine..

Tried downloading again and still the same issue.. not sure what the issue is.. MMI tech support requested to send the device to their service center in Okhla Industrial Area...
    Is there a solution that I can try? I am using Win7...i will give it a try doing via WinXp
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think Road Pilot is not upgradable to latest maps unless you pay close to Rs2.5k. The mapmyindia guy told this to me once while my friend was checking out their GPS range.
  3. upgrading 3.5" GPS PND on the cost of 2.5K :eek: not worth it.

Get Garmin Nuvi 1450 from US and install the MMI version 6 :mrgreen:

All the best.
  4. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Guys, MMI is bound to upgrade it for free and they supplied the links to download....they will upgrade if i take it to Okhla and leave it there for 24 hours... thats the deal !! so not sure why you have been told it cant be upgraded...
    Technically, its a Windows 6 CE version firmware, and anything sitting on top acts a application... and hence version 5.x to 6.x should work (theory), but its not working... thats where MMI has to help... and I am trying to be in Gurgaon next week for 2-3 days.. so will try to visit their Okhla office and get this done...
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    @Cubbie: Didnt you got the MMI software that does the sync and updates the all the maps on SD card? Just plugin your card into laptop, run the software, it would ask you to select the SD card for the update and thats all.

If you can share the file structure of your SD Card I might be able to help you. At times the Sync fails to copy some files, which leads to failure..

I have succesfully updated the stuff on my android phone, but had similar issue when i tired to update on android pad. Sync was not copying all the necessary file, I did manual jugads and it worked :D
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
  6. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Late to respond - i took the device to their Okhla Industrial area, the engineer took some 20 odd minutes and came back mentioning that the License Key got on mail from thier Support was incorrect.
    So... -1 for their Support Staff.
    +1 for quick service.

Now it has some enhancements like speed warning etc. I havent taken it on long rides, hence dont know full feature set.

Cheers.