1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS device with reverse camera add-on

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by speedJet, Aug 18, 2012.

1. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Am just a bit curious why you need a rear camera? It will either prove to be a distraction after some time, or at best a useless accessory.

But if you are hell bent, why not consider parking sensors? They can do the job pretty well and at much lower cost too. In fact I find them quite useless. In the end, its your driving gut which should prevail right?
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    One advantage with reverse camera is we can spot TFIans from back also. :D
    I think we can survive without it but if it help to avoid a hit then the money spent is worth. I personally treat each time I reverse as a learning opportunity. It give more confident each time.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Speedjet, It looks like your message area is full. I am not able to sent PM.
  3. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    dj.nish, for my own use I do not need reverse camera. I have managed more than 2000 kms without rear view camera or parking sensors. However, this would be very useful for my wife who is not able to see at the rear side. Ideally I wanted something similar to that is provided by RD (see link below), albeit without wires. A wireless option in the reverse camera + sensors provided by RD would be useful

RD - Car Reverse Parking System - TF 1000 (4 sensor +Camera)

Taking a GPS device with video-in and wireless capability is well worth because of following reasons:
    - The 2565 also has an optional driving recorder which can be used to record routes or pictures while driving. It is something that I find to be useful.
    - The video in provided in 2565 could be used as a display for my iphone (I am yet to confirm on the audio part though)
    - Wireless rear camera is a boon, since only power is needed and wires do not come up till the dash
    - Only 1 display unit on the dash

I think that going for 2565 would be a future proof option for next 4-5 years (yes most electronic stuff that I use lasts a long time)

I have deleted some messasges, please try sending the message now
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  4. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Did any one come across .. Brand TOMTOM Navigator ?? One of the dealer said that it is best brand in UK ?
  5. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    TomTom is pretty old and good. But which maps are you planning to use? AFAIK, they don't have a map partner for India yet.
  6. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Yes, their site states that ther are number 1 in Europe. A beautiful link shared by sungoa on previous page shows the difference between Garmin and TomTom apps. Also, see below link which says Apple to use TomTom

Apple Maps to be powered by TomTom - The Times of India

However, it does not meet my requirement of wireless camera input

They have launched in India, see below link. They also mention free maps support

TomTom - At the Heart of the Journey