1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS device with reverse camera add-on

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by speedJet, Aug 18, 2012.

1. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    I am looking for a GPS device for my TJet

My primary requirements:
    - use it for long drives
    - should have capability to attach a rear-view parking camera (wirelessly is a wish); I do want the dash cluttered up with too many devices -one for parking and the other for GPS. Too many devices are difficult to manage and also would obstruct the view
    - should be sturdy unit that can withstand Delhi heat (47-48 degrees celcius)
    - good battery back-up
    - 4.3 inches or 5 inches

I had following options in mind:

Option 1) Garmin Nuvi 2565:
    PROS: a camera can be attached to it
    CONS:
    (a) looks like its a front facing only camera and
    (b) its not clear if any non-Garmin camera can be attached
    (c) price of unit is around Rs 18000 to 19000 and the camera costs around Rs 7500 to Rs 8000

Option 2) iPad WiFi + 3G with Sygic application having MMI maps or TelNav MMI application

Option 3) dump the above 2 options and go in for the iPhone5 that is due for release in September. use it for GPS navigation with MMI sygic

Request TFIans to provide their valuable inputs on my GPS requirements (any device which meets my requirements should be good enough) and if there is any experience on options listed by me, even that would be helpful
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Please call one of the distributor and they will be able to tell the correct information. If I remember correctly it has reverse camera option also. Please verify.
    For ariel Mumbai you can contact Mr suneel(by calling at the No given below) to know the details. I had contacted him for my purchase.

India

(for all Garmin PND products)

Mumbai

Company: Aerial Services Pvt. Ltd.
    Phone: 022-26434483 / 84 / 85
    Email: asplgps@mtnl.net.in ; asplgps@vsnl.net
    Hours of operation: 8 hours
    Langs supported: English / Hindi / Marathi

Delhi

Phone: 011-24651445
    Email: rksf33@rediffmail.com
    Langs supported: English / Hindi / Punjabi

Bangalore

Phone: 080-25487052 , 9844088477
    Email: pintogps@yahoo.com
    Langs supported: English / Hindi / Kannada

Hyderabad

Phone: 040-27018456 / 27005810
    Email: kmsudan@rediffmail.com
    Langs supported: English / Hindi / Telugu
    1 person likes this.
  3. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Thanks sungoa for your valuable inputs. I spoke with the Delhi dealer and he confirmed that wired rear camera is supported. The cost is similar to what I quoted in my opening post - 19000 for the device and around 8000 for the camera. So all in all it seems to be a costly option. Since I also want to do an ICE upgrade, one of these upgrades (GPS, rear view and ICE) shall have to wait

Also, pasting the link for Garmin 2565 provided by sungoa for reference of other TFI members

Video-in - nüvi® 2575R / 2565
    1 person likes this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Check whether garmin can support non-garmin reverse camera. You can ask a dealer who deal with other product also, who can give a better option. My dealer at goa told that he can provide a reverse camera at a cheaper rate. In that case coast can be reduced.
  5. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    I have written a mail to Garmin distributor asking about the same. I found the below reverse parking system from RD which has sensors as well as support for camera.

RD - Car Reverse Parking System - TF 1000 (4 sensor +Camera)

Anybody in TFI have experience with RD products?
  6. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    The reverse camera option along with GPS comes only in the hi end GPS devices of any brand. So naturally the price is going to be on the higher side. I have a MMI s650 with reverse camera support. Im yet to connect a camera though
  7. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    Yes.. MMI ZX 250 is having the reverse parking camera support its costing 16000/. You can even connect this device with our car speakers with out touching any wiring of our cars.
  8. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    But the price seems to be pretty high considering that basic GPS devices are available for Rs 10000 or less. Demanding a premium of almost 8000 to 9000 for video support is a bit too much - but I guess everything good has a price associated with it

How do you connect the device to car speakers? Does it have a USB option?

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

I wrote a mail to Garmin asking the same. I am waiting for their response. I had also written a mail to RD and got a reply that their reverse camera can be connected to Garmin 2565.
  9. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    set the FM frequency as 88.00mhz in the gps device. and try tuning the 88mhz from your car fm. Once you set that, you can hear the things from ur car speakers..
    1 person likes this.
  10. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    How has been your experience with MMI s650? Would you recommend it over Garmin 2565? What was the cost of MMI s650?

How has been your experience with MMI ZX 250? Would you recommend it over Garmin 2565?

That's a nice feature to have