1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS Device but which one?

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by darkshooter, Aug 5, 2011.

1. @ arishi

Hi, I tested both and still MMI better than Navteq maps, yes POI's more in Navteq maps than MMI.
  2. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Guys, I would be returing to Hyderabad from The Netherlands in 2 weeks. I have found a whole lot of GPS devices here.

1. Tom Tom is really famous here and I heard there are Christmas deals going on now. Can I purchase one and load MMI maps in it? How can I get information as to which models of Tom Tom are compatible with MMI maps? (Information about compatible Garmin devices alone could be found on th MMI website)
    2. As per the MMI website any Garmin Nuvi model can be loaded with MMI maps. The catch here is that the maps loaded on an SD card costs around Rs. 7000 - 7500 /- Is there any other option apart from this if I buy a Garmin Nuvi?
    3. I feel instead of buying a Garmin and loading it with MMI, its much cheaper to buy a VX140 device, which I liked and would serve my purpose. Need suggestion on this.

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

I also forgot to mention that my brother-in-law is flying back to India from US aswell in about 2 weeks. Can I get a good GPS device from US which is compatible with MMI maps and if so, which brand / model shall I ask him to purchase?

Thanks in advance.
  3. Gmittal

Gmittal Amatore

Hi N Kiran, I am not sure if MMI maps will be compatible with TOm Tom but I am using the MMI maps in my garmin device, it works fine.
    I PMed you some other details.
  4. N Kiran

Hyderabad
    Mod's Note: Post deleted - Does not conform to TFI ethics
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Mod's Note - Post deleted
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  6. N Kiran

Hyderabad
    Read your PM. Thanks a lot. Will try to download both the versions as instructed by you and Gaurav. Yet to decide on which Garmin model to buy and from where ( Netherlands / US / ebay / Amazon) ...... Tough job huh.
  7. Only from US from Newegg.com >> Garmin Nuvi 1490T with B/T 5" presently available in USD 99.99 with promo code. If interested send me PM for code or search in Amazon.
  8. pammuluvcars

pammuluvcars Regolare

IN
    Hi friends. I have three brands to choose from Tomtom, Navman and Garmin. My sister asked me to choose one from these models. She is in Australia and wants to buy one GPS device for me. I havent done much research on GPS devices. I guess Navman is an only Australia product? But Tomtom and Garmin has websites for India. People who use GPS devices please help me choose the right brand and model. Additionally, I want to know whether I can use the GPS device as a reverse camera display as well. I need the info in a week's time as she wants to send it through my parents who are travelling to India next week. Thank you boys.....:)
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I would recommend Garmin. Tomtom was launched in India recently(just a few months back) Most of the India maps are supported on Garmin or the map vendors provide maps supported in garmin devices. For features such as reverse camera input or bluetooth support, check garmin website for models with these features. If buying Garmin device it is better to buy a model that is supported in India. Garmin india website has the list of devices supported.