1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS Device but which one?

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by darkshooter, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am using Garmin Nuvi 205W (purchased in US for $70) and got the maps from Satguide.in for Rs. 950. The coverage is quite good and recently got map update from them without any cost.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    A Short Review of SatGuide Maps
    First long drive experience with Satguide maps was extremely disappointing. While satguide is fairly accurate in a city like bangalore, it is completely confusing many a times incorrect on highways. Lots of the roads(NH & SH) are either wrong or incorrectly mapped. The GPS kept telling me "please drive to the highlighted road" even when I was driving in the right direction.
    The route I took was Bngalore- Srirangapatana- Hunsur- Periyaptana- Kushalanagar- Siddapura- Virajpet - Koottupuzha- Iritty-Sreekandapuram-Taliparamba- payyannur.
    In Satguide maps, it is still seringapattom and not Srirangapatana. I need to tell Satguide people that the English East India Company left India ages back.

After Kushal nagar, as per the satguide maps, I was on an off-roading adventure. The road marked on the map and the actual satellite position is displaced by at least 5 kms:eek: . So the device kept telling me "please drive to the highlighted road":A . This continued till the start of Iritty-Taliparamba SH, of course with off roading adventures every 10 Kms. Roads in Kerala have been named wierdly, local names never mentioned, sometimes names that nobody ever heard of. Some of the oldest roads are not maped at all, and if mapped, their position is wrong.
    My verdict: Satguide is decent for city drives, wrong choice for long highway drives.

I now need to test MMI and decide which one I am going to use in my GPS device.
  3. That's why I told you earlier, use MMI for Highways, even city, you will find real enjoy of Garmin after installing MMI.

Even in city, if any road is missing, Satguide based Garmin doing great job by calculating the long route.

:)
  4. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Ya MMI is much better than the rest. I use both Sygic and MMI in my phone and have not found any issues with those till date (believe Sygic uses MMI internally).
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I wrote to satguide people giving my post above as reference. Here is their reply:

Thanks for sharing specific feedback and appreciate for such detail feedback. We will incorporate above feedback in the map data and share the updated map in the first week of Dec 2011.
    As a mapping in charge I would request you to be a part of citizen mapper and the Brand ambassador program where you would have good/great benefits from our company in getting free map updates, free fuel coupons, great discounts on satguide products etc… Please let us know if you are interested, SSL team will share more details regarding the two programs.

I am yet to reply to them. :)
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  6. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    That sounds very positive fiatlover... So all the very best
  7. Mapping is not as easy as any one can do. MMI have complete setup of there own with satellite view, Even they are offering the map service to yahoo india. they are operating other countries too. Even i can say they are direct competitor to Navteq maps, yes Navteq maps (Nokia owned company; have world wide market share of 85%) offering maps to Garmin worldwide.

Being based at Hyderabad, I visited twice at satguide office for purchasing maps for my garmin pnd. They have nice setup, but I don't think they are direct competitor of MMI.

Satguide, earlier owned by Satyam Group, but later it managed by there own.

Yes, they are offering good support, when you send email or inquiry.
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I am doing some research on converting google map data to .IMG format supported in Garmin device. I personally believe that google maps are very detailed with lots of almost accurate regional/local information. I will update any progress I make.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    What satguide people are looking for from citizen mappers is inputs on what is missing in their maps. This inludes incorrect routes, wrong alignment of roads, missing roads, and so on. They have promised to share the next release version incorporating all missing/incorrect info I pointed out.
  10. Yeah, they can update for sure, just you need to travel all around to find out the missing roads in Satguide maps, and report accordingly. :)

Its same here in other threads, members suggesting points of improvements to Fiat India, Now its Fiat turn to improve as per suggestion.

All the best.