1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS Device but which one?

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by darkshooter, Aug 5, 2011.

1. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i have been using MMI for last one year, and provides good coverage.
  2. coolrider

coolrider Timido

TVM/JORHAT
    which MMI is good. VX140s or Road Pilot II Premium. both are in same price range Rs 9990. is it ok to purchase directly from MMI india site.
  3. Yes, MMI Maps are good, having detailed coverage through out of India. They have good POI's too. but GPS units ! I don't think so ..

MMI GPS units not having "speak street names" the basic feature, they are very fast to recalculate the routes, mean if you miss the lane, in next sec. they calculate the new route, Unit are even not suggested to U-Turn etc.
    Other one "Garmin" having Zoom In-Out feature, when you turn or alert on turn, also turn marks i.e. <----| or |----> are excellent real time creation by Unit.

I checked personally and compare with Garmin.

MMI offering some Arrow as your Car, Not offering Car Icon's to choose your own.

Any way, MMI maps are really good, so Garmin + MMI maps = best match. :)
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Finally I went for Garmin + Satguide, which I had already purchased.
    Total cost for the GPS system=7889.
    Device: Garmin Nuvi 40
    Features: Route recalculation, 4.3" touchscreen, zoom in/out, speak out street names, alerts on turns with turn arrows etc.
    Most of the streets/roads in Bangalore seem to be indexed/mapped by Satguide. I am yet to test the device with maps provided by MMI.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  5. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    guys am planning to buy a MapMyIndia device model Vx140 costing appx 10000. Can anyone give the reviews about the same? how is the speed and the clarity of the system ?
    Some basic questions . Is it voice guided system ? if yes then how do we pair it to the Head Unit. I mean if you are playing the music from the HU then is there any "way" to tell the head unit that the whenever the voice guidance of the GPS is speaking then please shut up.. Am asking this because i have a emotion pack in which there is no aux in cable..
    Also can anyone tell me that the GPS model shown as an accessory on the FIAT site has anything special ? I mean is it Blue and me compatible ?
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I have MMI Lx130 navigator with the latest v 6.1 maps. Yes, the navigator has voice guidance in US English, Indian English [Sangeetha] and other Indian languages. You don't have to pair it. Once you select the destination, it automatically guides you. You can mute it by touching the speaker icon and reactivate it by cancelling the mute, again by touching the icon. Ask for a demo. They will explain all the features of MMI navigators.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  7. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    Thanks Ravi. What was the price of the same ?And are you happy with its performance ? Also are these products immediately active as soon as you buy them or there is some activation period ?
    By pairing what I meant was that if HU is playing some music and the GPS in in voice guidance mode(verbally tell the directions) ; then ideally if the HU "knew" that GPS was about to send some voice command ; it would go in mute. Then once the GPS quietens up the HU would automatically start playing the music. Since in the Emotion Pack models there is no aux in I wonder if we could "pair" the 2 stuff.

BTW I saw a new product carPad on the MMI website : http://www.mapmyindia.com/carpad/index.html Seems something interesting
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    the CARPAD above is nothing but a normal tablet with 3G and GPS support. whats the price?

i am using my dell XCD35 handset as GPS device. it catches satellite fix in 2-3 seconds. i have Sygic Maps installed on it. voice by voice navigation, route recalculation within 1-2 seconds, accuracy within 20-30 metres.

i made the whole tirupati, mysore, bangalore, ooty trip with this. not even this it served me everywhere in Germany for 3 months. it has both drive and walk mode. also bus mode.

i can confidently say that the GPS capabilities of this handset is way better than other handsets and even the standalone gps devices i used in US.

the main benefit " IT IS FREE " no monthly charges, and carry it in your pocket.

when lost in gallis of india, put the address and select walk mode. it guides you galli by galli :)
  9. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    It is 23000/- including the fixing brackets.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Mine is two year old. I don't think MMI Lx130 is available now. Check with MMI for the availability and the latest price.
    Yes.
    I activated MMI Lx130 immediately after initial charge.
    Your car's HU and MMI navigator are independent devices without any symbiotic relationship.