1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS Device but which one?

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by darkshooter, Aug 5, 2011.

1. darkshooter

darkshooter Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    I am looking to buy a GPS Device for my car. Device should be fast and accurate and also suggest some good Indian street navigation maps compatible with that device.

Price should be around 10k.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am in a hurry. Will post more at night. But look at nothing else than mapmyindia GPS. They have the best maps for India as of now after Google maps. I wonder why does not Google come up with it's own GPS device. Or support Google Navigation in India (without any workaround).
  3. Garmin GPS are the best and they are user friendly too.

You can put MMI in Garmin GPS easily. No issue.

MMI maps are excellent but units are cheap China made.

All the best.
  4. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Got a good mobile!!! Install the maps in your mobile and enjoy.
  5. darkshooter

darkshooter Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    I have a Samsung Vibrant but GPS on that really sucks. I need dedicated one.
  6. Why Car Navigation GPS is Preferable Over Mobile GPS ?
    Here below the Replies:

* Cell phones are primarily for communications. You cannot communicate and at the same time enjoy the turn to turn guidance.
    * Cell phones invariably have shorter display area and map reading skills are directly proportional to bigger displays & dedicated devices. With the bigger display, we can appreciate the information and relative context shown in a map.
    * Maps invariably have huge databases, needs to either reside in mobile phone / or access through GPRS (additional VAS costs and will be slow unless it’s a 3G service). Mobile processing speeds will be low in Mobiles and its processing resources are premium. Expends the precious battery life as the battery has to seek GPS signals, and then process huge map database.
    * User Interfaces in the mobile navigation are cramped and is challenging to use. Requires higher learning curve. Not that easy to use for a novice.

So, it’s better to choose Car Navigation GPS rather than Mobile GPS.
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Map My India maps are the best in India. Have street level maps in some cities like chandigarh, delhi
    In this range you can get Map My India Roadpilot @7500/- and VX140 @ 12000/- with MMI maps pre-installed.
    Garmin devices are the best but pricey in India.

If you want complete VFM look at GOGO devices, preloaded with satguide maps. [Second best maps] @ 5000/-. through ebay.in
  8. darkshooter

darkshooter Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    Thanks guys. Ordered Garmin 1490T from USA thru iccworld.
  9. @darkshooter

Garmin 1490T, How much you pay for this item in INR, what about customs / duties / freight charges? and from which shopping site you purchased Garmin nuvi 1490T?
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I got a Garmin Nuvi 40 device from US through a friend of mine. I am now trying to load India maps into it. I am considering SatNav and MMI. SatNav maps costs INR 1245. yet to check MMI. Thie device costs around $130.
    If you are using either of these maps, which one works better for south India?
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011