1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GPS 2014 Updated

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by moksh, Mar 12, 2014.

1. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Guys Please help with the gps stuff
    1) Please let me know how this stuff work , does they charge annually or ...? if so then how much

My Dad Needs a gps devices , and he cannot use his phone for that stuff basically battery drainer etc etc
    2) Voice calling Bluetooth etc stuff not required just need a simple GPS
    3) What Does term Lifetime free maps or updates mean
    4) Must be Bigger then 4.7 Inch

Personally dont want the 4th option due to budget just kept for others reference

Please give your own suggestions this model i have choose and not be knowing about other models

I am More towards TOm Tom start 25
    Not so expensive

1) Tom Tom Start 25 ( Mrp 10999)

Start-25-IN.jpg
    2) Map My India Zx250 (Mrp 15990)

zx250-1-b.jpg

3) Garmin Nuvi 50LM (Mrp 9990)

in_nuvi50lm_image001-250x251.jpg
    4) Garmnin Nuvi 2565LM (MRP 18900)

garmin-nuvi-2565lm-400x400-imadf3dfnvygpcvr.jpeg

Please Suggest except the fourth one or tell me other brands if they are nice
  2. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Annual charges are for premium services (weather, livetraffic info, news etc) which are popular in other countries. You may not be looking for this as you want a simple one.

You may get a car charger to your mobile (approx ₹250) and there are nice free apps (eg. Waze, Sygic for android or even Gmaps). You may try this option before investing 10K.
    You can plug the device to your computer which will connect to their server and then update the maps on the navigation device. Usually these maps would remain on an SD card.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
  4. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    Look at the Garmin Nuvi 52LM if you want a bigger screen(5 inch) or a Garmin 42LM( A 4 inch screen otherwise all the features are the same as the 52LM).

Life time maps would mean you would be able to update your maps a maximum of 4 times a year until the product is supported for updates (It might be 4 to 5 years no particular time frame is mentioned). These are the terms for Garmin, I am not sure about Map my India & Tom Tom.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    If you are able to source the required :) maps, you can use these devices for a lifetime.
    1 person likes this.
  6. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    I am using Tom Tom Via 100 for more than an year now. I bought it with this free life time map update offer. I have received three map updates till now.

It has a car charger provided with it and you can charge it with a USB cable as well.

Till now it didn't give me any problems, except that in some rural areas it will take you through some bad roads. In city it works really well and is very accurate.
  7. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you guys for your replies , even tom tom start 25 has a 5 inch screen. For the time i can consider tom tom start 25 and nuvi 50lm .
    Regarding the Nuvi 52LM its not showing in the site , may be that model is been old and discontinued.
    No My Dad needs a dedicated device.
    Yesterday i saw a video regarding comparision of garmin and tom tom , it say that garmin has 3d maps shows cars as a symbol but it doesnt download the map completely whereas tom tom has a pre in built maps so that videos say tom tom as a final choice .
    Then too keep on suggestion guys i havent make my mind yet
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    That must be Tomtom marketing material. :)
    There is nothing called downloading the map unless you want to update it by connecting to internet. All maps reside on the SD card or the device itself. Default map of the region is installed on the device. Additional maps can be loaded on the SD card. It is a one time activity. While driving, the device hooks to the satellite and not to any service provider like the maps on phones.