1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Google Maps vs Mapmyindia

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by Vishi, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Bassman

Bassman Novizio

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The Sygic app on Android/iPhone uses only the GPS radios in the cell phone to locate you. 3G is not required for location. You can use the maps in airplane mode (with only location service enabled). The maps are pre-downloaded, so need no data connection.

Its extremely reliable, and pinpoints location within seconds (no data connection required)

You can select which country maps to download. Do this over a Wifi connection to avoid data charges.

Screenshot_2015-10-12-14-25-37.png Screenshot_2015-10-12-14-24-45.png

Once you download, you can navigate easily, without a data connection.

(I am currently in Poland so its showing these street names)
    Screenshot_2015-10-12-14-25-57.png

There are a few other nice features: HUD gives a 'heads up display'. Works well at night - place your phone on the dashboard and the map gets reflected on the windsreen

Screenshot_2015-10-12-14-39-48.png

The best part is the 'Travel book' All your maps are stored, along with some pretty good statistics!
    Screenshot_2015-10-12-14-39-53.png Screenshot_2015-10-12-14-41-51.png Screenshot_2015-10-12-14-41-55.png
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Well, I would say this is entirely subjective. I would any day prefer the GPS device over using my mobile phone for navigation. I use MMI maps on my Garmin device and have not disappointed at all.
  3. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Tried to install Sygic on my android device. It got installed but its not downloading India maps beyond 10%. Any clues for this ?
  4. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    It taks lot of time to download the maps and you need to patient to get it downloaded.

Recently I completed the Ladakh Expedition and used Sygic maps rights from Maharashra to Ladakh areas and it never disappointed us. Yes I used it on Aeroplane mode and you dot need worry about phone battery as well as it does not need data connction.
    Bassman likes this.
  5. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    I started the download yesterday evening at 8.30 and even today morning its showing 10%. My internet connection is fine with a 1 MBPS speed. How much time does it take to download ? Or is there any other problem ?
  6. Bassman

Bassman Novizio

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @vinit maps for india os about 600 -800 mb.
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I recently downloaded Sygic maps on my Android phone and the download time was a pain actually. It took almost 3 hrs to download 780MB of maps for India data in addition to the application and driver program. But when I started the maps it flashed a message saying that only 6 days of free vieweing will be available after which I will have to pay for the maps. The cost for maps again showed 24 euros. Did I download wrong Sygic maps??
  8. Bassman

Bassman Novizio

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes its a paid app as i mentioned earlier. They have various packages and regular schemes. I got world lifetime license for ~600 rs. Check their site for promo codes
  9. Bassman

Bassman Novizio

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kedarbendre : Slightly OT - Do you have a travelogue for your MH - Ladakh trip? I am planning on mid-2016, and planning for the same has started already. Planning some performance mods to prepare my stallion for the long trip. Would love some advice (remaps/tuning, filters, exhaust, tyre upsize etc)

If I am not mistaken, you are in Pune, right?

PS: Mods - please direct me to another forum/delete this post if its too OT. I would like to take this discussion further, in the right forum.
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    @Bassman please visit this Link to read our Ladakh Expedition Travelogue.

India maps are free of cost and you done need to pay anything. If any of your friend has Sygic installed on his phone you can get the app and supporting files via Shareit Application.
    Bassman likes this.