1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Google Maps vs Mapmyindia

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by Vishi, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Vishi

Vishi Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Not sure if there is a separate thread for this. Have a lot of questions on this
    • How good is Google map when compared to mapmyindia.
    • Do we need to have internet connection for mapmyindia like Google maps.
    • What are the advantages of mapmyindia over Google map and vice versa.
    mapmyindia is very expensive hence wanted to know will google maps suffice for routes.
  2. Pramod N

Pramod N Amatore

Bangalore
    Google Maps is sufficient and is also efficient and trust worthy. No problem in getting the signals & routes in Bangalore.
    You would not need a internet signal for standalone GPS devices.
    However, you might find GPS devices more faster and quicker way to connect to the Satellite and provide faster route options.

Google Maps, have replaced GPS devices. However, Spending almost 10k for a GPS device, is not a good option.
    Vishi likes this.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    There is an option for offline maps called Navimaps from Mapmyindia. You can download the same for your android phone and set th routes. You dont need internet for the same.

There is another option for offline maps called HERE maps from Nokia but it is installable only for select android phones only, doesnt work on my Asus Zenfone 5 with kitkat.
    Vishi likes this.
  4. Vishi

Vishi Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks @ghodlur . Will try the HERE maps and see.
    @Pramod N . Yes even I felt the prices of these devices are very expensive and heard they are slow in touch responsiveness compared to Android mobiles.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi I'm using HERE maps in UK since 2 months works smoothly in offline too with good voice navigation.You can find the download link in Maps thread
  6. Bassman

Bassman Novizio

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I use the sygic (earlier mapmyindia) app for android (and on iphone before that). I've been using this for 4 years now. In fact i even used it in Europe (Poland, Germany, Prague, Rome) . Cost me 300 for the maps,and i got a world lifetime license. Whole worlds maps I can download at any point of time. Also the maps get updated regularly.

While google maps is excellent and works 99% of the time, there are still some stretches of the road where you may not get a 3g signal. That's where MMI helps.

If you do a lot of road trips, it's advisable to download the paid app with offline maps. Its more of a backup for Google maps
  7. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    My limited experience says that it is good to have both if you need 'Navigation'. I use an MMI GPS (Zx150 since 2012) and have upgraded its maps few days ago for Rs 500/-. I wish to use it more efficiently though, as it has many features like adding various routes covered and destinations. Over past three years, I have found it more and more dependable. However, there is one lacking, the display is not very crisp. Also GPS suggests its own shortest route and keeps telling you to go back if you deviate and after some distance, it checks your new position and then suggests a new route. On your smart-phone, you have host of options from Google. You can define the major places en-route to get a desired route. It also gives some relevant details about road work etc. But it eats the 3G balance when you switch ON 'location' for navigation. Many times, on interior routes, you need that. At some places you don't get network and there GPS device helps.

While spending so much money on the car, other accessories and of course for the fuel, paying 10-12 k for GPS is worth it!

My two cents!

Ravi_M
    mangeshtendulkar likes this.
  8. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    I am using TomTom GPS from past one and half year. Have recently updated the maps and found the services to be improved than they were a year back. However I also use Google Maps as it offers additional data which is useful. I agree with @Ravi_M that spending 10-13K on GPS is worth and keeping both (GPS and GoogleMaps on Smartphone) handy all the time helps avoid hassles in case one loses the directions.
  9. Bassman

Bassman Novizio

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I would still want to suggest an alternative suggestion. Like I mentioned, an 'offline' solution like Map My India or TomTom is a "must have" in India, particularly with patchy 3G connections in rural areas. That being said, you do not need to invest in a standalone GPS box. offline maps are available as an Android and iOS app under the name of Sygic. It has fantastic maps, and you can quickly switch to this in case you lose your data connection in the middle of a drive.
    Voice navigation is pretty good and has a lot of options to customize the interface. ~300 INR is a price worth payin. I wouldn't want to spend 7-8 K On a stand alone device :)
  10. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @Bassman, I have the impression that the GPS device has capability to communicate with the satellite directly and that makes it free of 3G network. But the Android / iOS App named Sygic would eventually need 3G network to locate you, wouldn't it? Or what you suggest doesn't provide 'Navigation'? But you also mentioned voice navigation! Please explain.

Ravi_M