1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Goodyear tyre bursts and underbody body damage - need assistance

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by karthiknan, Sep 4, 2013.

1. karthiknan

karthiknan Novizio

Hyderabad
    I bought fiat punto sports 90 hp model in dec2012. At around 8k kms, the front right tyre got burst on a empty highway and now at 11k kms, the front left tyre got burst when i was turning for parking at airport in hyderabad. due to the burst the car climbed on the foothpath resulting various underbody damages. the tyre company goodyear has said that there is no issue with the tyre and it was due to my irresponsible driving the tyres got burst and have refused to provide claim to me. the consequential damages are estimated appx rs80k. the worst part is both the tyres got burst at the same place near the rims and goodyear is taking any responsibility. have contacted majority of the tyre dealers in hyderabad and they said that its manufacturing problem only and the defect shows only after sometime. if i want to change all the 4 tyres, which one should i go. no goodyear for me. kindly suggest the tyres.

tyre size:195/60 r15. are micheline primary lc are good continental tyres. pls suggest
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you are looking for comfort, take PLC.
    Otherwise there are lots of other option like Yoko C-Drive, Apollo Accelere, MRF ZLO, Bridgestone MY02 or Potenza etc.
  3. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    What ever tyres you put on the car. Ensure the prescribed tyre pressure is maintained. Lower pressure on the tyres and highway runs can turn out to be disasterous.

There are loads of options in the 195/60 R15 size. Michelins, Yokos, Continental, Bridgestone, MRF, Apollo. Do select the one which suits your requirement and budget.
  4. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Tire manufacturers will not cover any accidental damages to the tires including pelting of stones (which will cause a bulge), side wall damage due to drop in pot holes, burst out of collision etc,. BTW, what pressure do you generally maintain?
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    tyre burst can happen due to a manufacturing defect as well as bad maintenance (read low pressure). for claiming in case of manufacturing defect, we need to prove the same to the tyre company which is very difficult post the event of burst hence it isn't a surprise that the claim is rejected. Unless we prove, they will sight incorrect tyre pressure as the culprit.

Please let us know what tyre pressure you were maintaining. were you aware that such incident can happen due to low trye pressure?
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  6. karthiknan

karthiknan Novizio

Hyderabad
    as my travel is a mix of city road and highway, its around 30 to 31 ps only and not the 32 ps recommended. thnx for your advice.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It doesn't matter where you drive, my friend - city, highway, village, race track. Just stick to what is recommended. Do not second guess the manufacturer.
    1 person likes this.
  8. karthiknan

karthiknan Novizio

Hyderabad
    its around 30 to 31 ps only and not more than that

well i knew somewhat that maintaining a low tyre pressure could result in tyre bursts but this was not the case. as mentioned above, i usually 30 to 31 ps due to mix of city and highway runs. apart from that both the bursts happened to be at same place i.e near the wheel rim.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    But what has city or highway got to do with tire pressures? It doesn't make any difference.
  10. karthiknan

karthiknan Novizio

Hyderabad
    well will try to follow that with the new tyres. have narrowed down to yokos-s drive, michelins-primary lc or xm2 and in bridgestone potenza g3 or my-02. :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

in the highway, expansion of tyre pressures due to high speeds.100 to 120 is easily reached on the outer ring road in hyderabad