1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Good Tyres in Front or Rear?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by 5u3zEr0, Apr 20, 2014.

1. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    I don't see any flip side with two different tread patterns or brands on the front and rear but it would ideal to have all four of the same pattern.
    And generally the better tyres are in the front.
  2. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Better tyres (which you think has more grip) always at rear, pls search on this topic on google. However if any tyre which has any kind if damage can be put at the rear as a burst would cause risk if put in front,however it is better to change the same asap.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Most of the cars in India are front wheel drive and hence I suggested the grippier or better tyre in front. Second having two separate tread patterns in the front and rear should ideally be a temporary arrangement. I have never done it and would not suggest it to anyone.

SoumenPaul: Will try to search and read about the topic.
  4. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    It has got nothing to with front or rear wheel driven car. The driver should always get feedback on what is happening with the tyres.
    When you brake hard if rear tyres (less grip) skids driver cannot feel it (and control) the way if it were on the front wheel, and car may fishtail and hence the risk is more.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Technically you are right. But if there is usable thread in the old tyres, then we can shift them back and put in the new tyres in the front. This will ensure that the old tyres in the read take time to get worn on because the load and stress in less in rear and hence increasing the tyre change interval. But when doing highways, we need to be careful when taking corners. ( another point to note is that braking force applied to rear tyres are always less than what is applied in the front because at normally 30% of the total brake force, the rear looses traction)
  6. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Soumen is right - always put better tyres in the rear - reagrdless of whether the car is FWD or RWD.
  7. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, But should also take in to account that its the front tyres which generate more traction under braking. I would just advise to put the best tyres in front and the next better ones in rear because 90 % we will brake from highspeed rather than take highspeed corners which might result in the rear stepping out. One may choose the pattern according to their needs.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Sounds right. Another simpler reason someone suggested is that there is more weight towards the front of the vehicle than the rear so the better ones should be at the front. Don't know how accurate that is though.
  9. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I would always prefer to have better feel/feedback on what is happening with the road and grip rather brake hard and leave it to the machine :)
    Now if the tyres condition is really poor and you have to travel a distance or you normally drive at very slow speed then it's ok.
    The question is will you allow something to happen without your knowledge ? the danger of having the bad tyre at rear or front is nearly same, putting it on front reminds and make you feel the real condition, whereas in rear you tend to feel that your car is in top condition :)
    Also it not only high speed corning, a degree of deviation and some loose pebbles/wet road is enough for the rear to loose control and that is also without your knoweldge.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  10. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    I read somewhere that putting the bald tyres in front is less risky that putting them at the back. In case of a Tyre blowout at front, you can still streer the car to control it but back tyre blowout can lead to car losing track which is difficult to control as the rear tyres don't steer.

Now these are all theories, talking about practicality, don't use bald tyres in front or back, a few thousands which you don't spend can cost you a fortune in case of a mishap.

Happy motoring :)

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk
    2 people like this.