1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Good Eateries In Chennai

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by J Ravi, Jun 26, 2012.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    There is an old style non veg restaurant of name National Durbar near the Ripon building. Used to serve excellent food and I was quite a regular in the mid to late eighties. My favourites were Paratha with mutton chops/ kuruma and also the kothu paratha. Those kind of restaurants had a charm that cant be explained but only relished. The settings, the noise , the ambiance, it is all very different. I havent been there in a long time but the temptation is itching to visit. Maybe after Ramadan fasting. Dont know if it will be same or modernised. Only problem is I will have to walk a distance after parking the car near the nehru stadium . One can call it a heritage restaurant of chennai and I hope it exists longer

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Great news; hope her writings get popular in west too and serve as the myth-busters breaking the stereotypical image of Indians living on curry and chicken-tikka alone. Somehow reminds me of Russell Peters' jokes on 'ho-dogs' and mashed potatoes. :D
  3. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    @ Abdul: I visit National Durbar for lunch every week after Jumu'ah :). It is still the same and it is not modernised. Good tasty and cheap food, I regularly eat the mutton meals there (Rs.90) and then alternate with Brain fry, Liver Fry, Mutton biryani every other week. Yes, car parking is a problem as you would have to park on Sydenhams Road after the metro constuction before the Periamet masjid and take a walk from there. Their Falooda is still very famous, personally not fond of it but nearly every diner there has one.

During Ramadaan, it is open late so you could go for a late meal or an early suhoor after Taraweeh. Or the alternate is you could take away.
    1 person likes this.
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Very pleased to hear that National Durbar is still the same SubZero. Will plan one jumua at Periamet after Ramadan. I would suggest bala to go there solo and not with family if he is already drooling:))

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  5. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    :(, Abdul am a vegetarian.
    Though I would like to have atleast an egg biriyani there(eggetarian!), in most hotels the Biriyani is taken from mutton biriyani and an egg added, which I would not like to have.
    Offtopic,ping me your email id, I shall forward you a discounted blood test package from thyrocare comprising off 66 tests costing rs.1700, original cost being Rs..4800.It is very essential since you are a diabetic,hypertensive not on treatment. It is ok to have a dislike to allopathy.The blood sample will be taken at your door step (I don't receive any commision :) ) and just forward me the inference of the result,I shall tell you if all is well.
    5 people like this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You are very kind Bala. I think even Abdul won't mind even if you do. Already the tests are at discount that you are mentioning. Most good Doctors don't go looking for commissions and tours. It's more like customary to be offered to doctors by companies.
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Am very touched by your kind concern bala. Two weeks ago when I had my blood checked, it was 131 at random after breakfast. The HBA1c was 5.9. My BP at that time was 130/80. Test was done at Agada Hospitals. Any way I would defenitely like to go through that professional test by Thyrocare. Do send me the voucher. Mail me at jumuki@gmail.com. LOL,You seem to be knowing the truth about egg biriyani:)

Abdul
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  8. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    @ Jumu: Sure, we will meet up for lunch after Ramadaan.

@ Dr. Bala: You can try this restaurant if you are a eggeterian :). They have different types of egg dishes also including egg stuffed paratha's.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    ZOICA, Radhakrishnan salai, Koturpuram, just before the flyover on the left side.
    Best thing about the restaurant is the food is non oily and non spicy and the staff are courteous.
    The buffet begins with a chat which was nice but I think it is a ploy to fill up your stomach before you can get to the main course.
    There are 3 starters, panneer tikka was ok.
    The side dishes were kind of nauseating.
    Biriyani was bland.
    Dessert section is purely Indian which am not a fan of.
    At Rs.520 it is worth a try but there is no parking space.
    None of the food had lingering taste or flavour.
    2.5 out of 5 stars.
    kailasmenon2000 likes this.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Bala, there is a restaurant on Habibullah road in T.Nagar behind vidyodaya school by the name BASIL. It is a new restaurant and said to be good. Maybe your kind of place. Check Zomato.

Abdul