1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Good Eateries In Chennai

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by J Ravi, Jun 26, 2012.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Have any of you tried Nasi Kandar Pelita at T nagar?

It's an awesome place. Malaysian chain of restaurants. With it's only branch in India at T Nagar.

My rating would be 4.5/5 stars based on the quality, taste and VFM.
    1 person likes this.
  2. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    It is one of my regular eat outs and we have been going there for years. You should try the Saatay, Murtabak and the Mee Goreng and finish it all with Malaysian Tea. It is also the first Halaal certified restaurants in Madras. And their prices are pocket friendly too.

Oh and their Roti Canai (Paratha) is the one of the best in Madras. Try it with their Malaysian curries. ENJOY!
    1 person likes this.
  3. kiranrv

kiranrv Amatore

Same is the case with MGR Salai Branch (In-between lifeline hospital and Taramani Station road, Opp RMZ park) and Velachery Branch

- - - Merged Post - - -

Went to Zodiac@ Furtune Hotel chain on OMR, for a colleague's treat,
    Apart from Ambience, everything else is not so great. on the costlier side too

Avoid at any cost
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

I really like the food at Pelita. Its one hell of a VFM eatery. They know their food and yu can feel the culture in the food and I have never felt disappointed. The people are also very friendly. If any one wants good mpm veg food with a foody atmosphere you can go to Pelita.

1 person likes this.
  5. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    I have been here just once a couple of years back to try it out as I had an offer and I did not like it. Ate the dinner buffet and it was very ordinary and not worth the price.

On the OMR I would suggest "Buzz" at the Gateway Hotel for a good buffet lunch, really tasty food and nice desserts. They also have a nice exotic Chinese restaurant called "Sian", enjoyed the food here but it is pricey!
    1 person likes this.
  6. Bala

Bala Esperto

KEBAB COURT in Velachery,100 ft road.
    Why do they even operate such restaurants and buffet?
    Value for money?, for Rs.400?, what value when there is no flavour or taste in any food and the quality is very bad.For the same money they offer quality buffet at Vestin park and Momo at Egmore
    Both the starters panneer tikka and gopi 65 had been coloured very dark,very bad,colouring agents are carcinogenic and before I order food anywhere I always ask them not to add colour.
    All the bearers were dirty and their clothes even dirtier, they should be having bath and washing clothes only once in a week.
    The whole place is dirty and the restroom is like what you find in bus stands.
    A must avoid
    -5 out of 5 stars.
    I always had the habit of trying out new things,not anymore.
    moral, if one wants to dine out, it should be in classy places like Residency towers, Pondy bazar.
    All the guys eating around were speaking telugu, so were the 2 workers in the bakery outside, is Velachery annexed to AP after the recent bifurcation? :(
    I was not served kebab at all, so why the name, Kebab court?
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    ^^ Actually, Kebab court is housed in the same building where there is an Andhra restaurant as well. When it was opened in 2007-08, the quality seemed okay. It seems it has now deteriorated to its worst. Its been 4-5 years since I visited them. :)
  8. hello2anand

hello2anand Amatore

Perhaps, we should change the title of this Thread to 'Eateries NOT to be tried in Chennai' ;)
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Discovered two VFM vegetarian eateries that serve delicious mouth-watering dishes in Chennai during the last few weeks. The first one, Mami Tiffin Stall is located at Pichchu Street, Mylapore near Kapaleeswarar temple and Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. The only negative is, one has to eat by standing as there is no place to sit, but the trouble is worth-taking considering the quality and taste of the food.

The second one is, Udipi Hotel Sri Krishna Prasad located at Arcot Road, Vadapalani, opposite Vijaya Hospital. Stomach-filling limited meal cost ₹ 65 [comprising sweet pongal or payasam, sambar, vattha kuzhambu, rasam, buttermilk, curd, appalam, pickle, poriyal, koot and ample quantity of rice] and a plate of 2 large chappathies with kurma, ₹ 50. There is no need to tip the waiter as one has to pay cash at the counter!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    3 people like this.
  10. brandnewpunter

brandnewpunter Amatore

Hotel Parvati Bhavan at 33, Sri Narayan Building, Opposite LG Showroom, Arunachalam Road, Saligramam, Chennai

68 rs for Limited meals. Ac and food served at table. Good service, great ambience for the price and attentive manager. Their meal is priced at 68 to attract crowd, the rest are bit pricier than A2B.

Guest hotel- Veg at EVR periyar salai/PH road, Kilpauk.

Fast service and simple food. Looks like a old hotel with a great fan following. Their chutney's and filter coffee are good.

Hotel Mathsya, Veg at Halls road,Egmore

Next time you have a train to catch or coming from Train do try this out. Old family restuarant and they are open till 3 Am. It's filled with Hindi/non-tamil speaking people and you will for a moment think that you are outside TamilNadu. Good food and ambience.

Nair mess,Triplicane. Non-veg.This is in a small lane opposite to Chepauk Stadium's side entrance(The road leading to parthasarathy temple)

Have been to Nair Mess numerous time and it's a treat. I like the taste of coconut oil in Egg Burji, Omelette, Fish fry. Their parottas, mutton kulambu, Chicken chops, idli with coconut chutney are all must tries. It has a non Ac/ac section and it's crowded during peak hours and since MLA hostel is nearby you will see a lot of politicians and people who come to see them. It's a mess only in it's name, it's seating capacity is like 70-80.

Paramount Biriyani, Ormes road, Kilpauk

Their fish biriyani is a must try.

The small kebab place in greams road adjacent to Fruit shop.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014