1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Good Eateries In Chennai

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by J Ravi, Jun 26, 2012.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Due to unpredictable decisions of the Nature, I am back to Chennai in my ancestral home , where I was grown, educated and working upto 1976. So, I started visiting my favourite places, especially eateries that offered mouth-watering vegetarian fare!:)

Yesterday evening, after our visit to Kapaleeswarar temple, we dined at Mylai Karpagambal Mess located at East Mada Street, Mylapore. I relished onion adai/avial and idiyappam/kurma washed down by degree coffee. My wife ate kal dosai. I visited this eatery after many years and found that it has been renovated by adding an AC section, where the items were costlier by rupee-symbol.gif 5 - 10 each. The quality of the food was very good. Personal touch was the USP of this eatery! smile.gif When I ordered coffee for us, I was asked 'Strong, medium or light?'. When I said, strong, again I was asked 'With or without sugar?'! smile.gif

Image0089.jpg
    Image0090.jpg
    Image0091.jpg
    Image0092.jpg

A few days back, I tasted delicious tiffin at Idli Vilas at Dr Radhakrishnan Salai, opposite Hotel Savera, just below the flyover. It is a small joint serving Chettinadu-style vegetarian snacks and meals. Later, we had a small function at our home. We ordered 15 meals costing rupee-symbol.gif 70 each, which were supplied to our home by Idli Vilas. But, after 25 guests dined, we had surplus in each and every item! For another function, we ordered special meals with our own menu costing rupee-symbol.gif 80 each. 90 such meals catered to 120 people! Idli Vilas is good both quality and quantity-wise. smile.gif Apart from umpteen varieties of idlies and dosais, Guruvayoor milk payasam and cool drinks like nannari sharbath, rose-milk, lime-ginger juice were their specialties.

Image0087.jpg
    Image0088.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
    9 people like this.
  2. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Yesterday I tried out the buffet at MOMO at Prince plaza,Egmore.
    Chinese and Thai cuisine.I should say,it was ok,especially the salads and the dessert.All the starters tasted the same!!.Am a vegetarian,so am not sure about the non veg stuff there.
    For Rs380,it is recommended,since it was not oily as we see in Indian chinese cusine and for spicy food lovers,this is not the place!!,7 starters and side dishes,noodles and fried rice,8 salads and 8 deserts,for Rs,380
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    The best vegetarian meal I have had in Chennai was at Hotel Annalakshmi at Egmore. Little expensive but the best. The next in line is the Tanjore Meals at the new Woodlands hotel on Dr. Radhakrishnan Salai.

The health meal (Rajakeeyam) served at Sanjeevanam is also worth trying. They have branches at Indira Nagar and Mogappair.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Had this thread posted at least one week before, where I was in Chennai, I could have avoided the mass agitation of my taste buds who came to know about the topic through the lake formed inside my mouth.:D I had gone to Murugan Idli at Panagal Park and had some delicious idlis and dosas accompanied by their sakhis dressed in different colours(chatney,sambar,podi). After that I had a milk based drink(I forgot the name, but not the taste) which they have written as specialty of Madurai. Murugan Idli Shop
    :nicethread
    1 person likes this.
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Then, it must be jigarthanda!:)
    2 people like this.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Yes It was that. The price was Rs. 40 for special one with a cream and normal one was Rs. 30. :) Thanks
    1 person likes this.
  7. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Sungoa,if you come to know as to what Jigarthanda is made off,you will never come again to Chennai!!!
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I never was a fan of this Jigarthanda.
    But, what is interesting here is the statement made by you bala. Please shed more light on this please :D.
  9. Out of curiosity, what it is made off? PM me if it is wise not to disclose in public. :)
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Preparation Method

1. Milk 2. China Grass (Commonly known as "Kadal Paasi" in Tamil) 3. Sarsaparilla syrup (Commonly known as "Nannaari Syrub" in Tamil) 4. Ice-cream (Vanila flavour is Ideal)
    Steps: 1. Boil the milk till it reduce to half in volume. This is to increase the thickness of milk which will add good taste to the recipe. When milk turns into pale yellow colour then it is the indication that the milk has been brought to good condition. Now remove from boiling and let it come to room temperature. Then refrigerate this for a while. 2. Soak the china grass (Mostly available in many super markets) in water for about 3 hours. After 3 hours it will look like pieces of jellies. Now take out the china grass from water. 3. Now take a glass - Pour milk up to half of the glass - Mix well the sarsaparila syrub and china grass with milk - Finally put a scoop of vanila ice-cream on top - Enjoy the drink.
    Note: 1. Badam pisins may be substituted for china grass. 2. Rose syrup is predominantly used in many shops instead of sarsaparilla syrub.

Source - Jil jil jigarthanda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    2 people like this.