1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Goa to chennai route

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sungoa2010, Jul 29, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Urgent help needed:
    1. Can any one suggest some place to stay on the way to hubli and Banglore.
    I will be starting from Goa by 1 PM. Then It is impossible to travel till Banglore at night. So I thought driving till 8 PM and taking rest at some place and continuing chennai trip without a stop in banglore. Which will be ideal place to stay if I start from goa at 1 PM, with a average speed of 45-50 kmph considering the possibility of a heavy rain in Ghat sections?

Luck was not in favour of me for getting things done in my last visit to get the papers ready from RTO Chennai. :(

2. How is the place Haveri for a halt?

3. Is it safe to drive drive at night till Banglore or Tumkur in NH4?(vehicle is not punto but a alto)
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Try to make it to Tumkur and stay there. From here, you can completely bypass Bangalore through Devanahalli and reach Hoskote.
    1 person likes this.
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks ram. The problem is I will be able to start only around 11 AM. So will be reaching Tumkur very late and that time travelling in alto with poor headlights will be risk. So I am thinking of staying some where before Tumkur, Even before Chitradurga and next day early morning for a Marathon trip to Chennai.(I am missing my punto ).
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    NH 4 is absolutely safe to drive at night. In Bangalore, you can stay at Hotel Woodlands at Richmond Circle. Bon voyage.
    1 person likes this.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks. I have driven the kolhapur - Satara strech.It is in excellent condition. Is the banglore- Hubli stretch is of same quality?
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Bangalore-Hubli section is excellent except for some diversions near Harihar/Davangere. There are two big humps in Brahmasagara near Chitradurga. I think, now 6 laning works are in progress in many stretches. So drive carefully.
    1 person likes this.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks Ravi sir for quick reply. TFI is of great help for sudden planning of a trip to any places in India. Roads that are not covered by TFIans are rare:)

---------- Post added August 10, 2012 at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was August 9, 2012 at 04:38 PM ----------

About toll

Suppose if I take a toll at some place and before reaching the next toll booth took a night halt. Do the toll token valid for the next day?
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    The toll paid for single or multiple trips in one toll plaza is applicable for that toll plaza only and cannot be used for the next toll plaza. Only in Mumbai-Bangalore section in Maharashtra, in case of two plazas, such arrangement exists as both are operated by the same concessionaire, wherein you can pay toll for both the toll plazas in advance, and cross the next toll without stopping. Usually, the toll paid for multiple trips is valid for 24 hours from the time of payment for NHAI toll plazas. However, there may be some exceptions like in Attibele toll plaza on NH 7 operated by Bangalore Elevated Tollway Ltd., where the multiple trip toll is valid until midnight irrespective of the time of payment. For toll paid for single trip, once you cross the toll plaza, it expires. So, you can stay as many days as you like anywhere before crossing the next toll plaza, where you have to pay the toll again.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Goa to chennai trip completed in my Alto

I have completed my Goa Chennai trip. Eight year old alto had done his duty without troubling me during the entire trip.
    Started at 11 AM on saturday with taking lunch from home. I didn't booked any hotel as I was not sure of my halt as it was raining heavily in Goa.After crossing Goa boarder rain stopped and again it rained pretty good in the ghat section of Yellapur Hubli stretch. Taken Hubli bypass. NH4 was in excellent condition except few places where there are some patch works done. My Garmin GPS have done a wonderful job in guiding precisely and more than that giving me excellent company. Taken dinner at roadside Dhaba (don't remember the name). My aim was to reach Tumkur and take rest. But it was already 9 PM and constant call from home asking avoid night drive. I was absolutely OK for a drive till Banglore but thought of reducing tension for my wife at home. Entered a petrol pump for a refill and saw that place had a large area. I asked the operator whether I can park my car there and he agreed. That time I don't want to go and search for hotels and also thought of experiencing a sleep inside a car. Tumkur was ideal since I could reach my cousins house in Banglore for break fast and can start the remaining part as early as possible. Got a very nice sleep that night. Woke up early in morning found that by this time I was surrounded by few trucks which had parked without any sympathy for this small creature(alto). Some how able to make my way by reversing between the boundary wall the parked truck. Took fresh breath fixed the GPS and choose Hosur. It was drizzling and there was heavy traffic of volvo buses and trucks on the road.After reaching Tumkar I stopped the car and stopped the car and cancelled the current navigation and entered "sarjapur rd" where my cousin was staying. GPS has taken me via Yeswantapur and IISC main gate. Then I realized that I am taken in to the city than taking the NH4. Sarjapur rd was easily accessible from Hosur road. Though taken the city road, the way was correct and I reached sarjapaur rd, via Airport rd and varathur rd. I reached around 9:30 AM. After taking breakfast and a rest continued the trip via Hosur at 11:15 AM.As I was continuously driving thought of taking krishnagiri rd, which was 4lane road. Near velloor my front left tire got punctured by a nail from the side road as I thought of having a filter coffee from Hotel Arya. Changed the by myself and driven, after taking a cup of filter coffee towards chennai, while keeping an eye on a tire shop. After few kms found one and got puncture repaired. Reached Chennai at 7PM.

The biggest question that came to my mind was how people at Banglore manage with the humps. Poor design. Best part of the journey was the ankola Hubli road. It was a marvelous road. With full of greenery on both side. I would recommend this road over shimoga route.

Below is the picture taken near Karwar

DSC02523.jpg

DSC02526.JPG

DSC02527.jpg

My thanks to all especially Ravi sir and ramjn for providing help through this thread.
    This trip was my last trip with the alto, which I had dropped in true value at chennai.:sad1
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
    2 people like this.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, sungoa2010, for sharing your driving experience.
    All the legal and authorised humps in Bangalore are of trapezoidal section comprising one up ramp, a flat portion, and then, a down ramp. My Linea does not face any bottom-scraping on any of the authorised hump. However, the unauthorised humps got done by local people, are like inverted U section, which are dangerous.
    1 person likes this.