1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

GNCAP Rating for Indian Cars

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by selwyn.a, May 17, 2016.

1. SwifttoPunto

SwifttoPunto Novizio

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    After understanding these things, I can say I am least bothered about NCAP.
    1. I am more interested in 56kmph testing results and precautions taken surrounding that than this NCAP. If larger or more advanced countries also go with 56kmph I am ok with that speed. Increasing by 8 kms does not make car a completely different machine. Then why they want to stop at 64, people drive at 80, 100 and more than that. 80-100 is legally allowed also. Important thing is one I understand 56kmph or 64 kmph at the time of impact. So someone is driving 60 or 100 that is different aspect. In that case we also have to bring in breaking efficiency. They chose little higher than legally mandated because they want to have a space for existence. If it is at 56kmph they do not have independent existence and offcourse even legally they will have to defend. I am sure this limit of 56kmph would have been fixed with proper study/scientifically analyzing, keeping cost in mind, etc., If voluntarily it is changed, there is no end, it can go to 70, 80, 100, etc. We need not reinvent the wheel all over again. We can also go with global standards. For implementing any legal regulations one of the parameter that Govts use is global standards.
    But interesting point is why they stopped at 64kmph, may be none of the small cars will survive at a speed of 80 or above.

2. But I am more interested to understand efforts around 56kmph test put by Indian manufacturers.

3. Just a frontal crash test at little higher speed does not change whole vehicle unsafe. I am sure these 56kmph requirements would be more comprehensive. So, making that benchmark and compliance around that stronger is need of the hour and not just NCAP.

4. Other important item is even other manufacturers who are perceived to be safer car manufacturers do differently in India. For example Ford. I read in news, export version of Ford ecosport had 300+ parts different from domestic version in India, including those of structure related. I am more interested to make sure whatever legal standards that are in place in other larger countries that make them to improve those parts are implemented here also.

5. Another important point is some of the vehicles of Maruti, I am sure won't pass even at 40kmph (ex, Omni). But many people who buy this know the fact/understand the fact while driving but keep the utility in mind which it offer the best. So that is at their risk. But other normal cars should be put to a rigorous 56kmph test.

6. I dont think he told 60+ is not possible or that Maruti wont be driven on highways. I understand 56kmph or 64kmph is at the time of impact which is completely different than driving speed.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    The govt must prioritze regulations on braking+tyres, steering systems, toppling+handling tests+emissions rather than crash test-stipulations, imo.

And that tradeoff cannot be avoided, since all regulations add to cost and price, affecting the market at both supply and demand sides.

But yeah, a crash test star-rating system that is credible and not corrupted via ncap or via the current-arai or via the current road transport ministry, is a good idea. As is compulsory car buyer/owner/driver 'education' around not just crash safety but the vastly bigger and much more important issue of road-safety.

Also, and this is vital: a vast upgrading of data-gathering and analysis by insurance companies and traffic-cops and other neutral third parties. Premia should be vastly higher for crash-safety-poor cars, all else being equal! Currently the data-fog is appalling: nobody knows what the hell is happening on roads, traffic and accidents, in any meaningful i.e., patterned detail. Which can then be 'explained'. Least of all the police!

There is a severe regulatory vacuum in the indian car market/industry, and the current minister is widely seen to be all-too close to the car manufacturers, the road-highway contractor lobby, and the pvt (and public?) petroleum-refiner lobbies. So there is no reason for optimism: lots of window dressing and buying-time, yes, but?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
    dadasaheb likes this.
  3. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Euro Ncap or just Ncap, 56 or 64 doesn't make a difference. The debate can run on n on about what is avg speed in india in most regular conditions etc. Point we shd be debating is do us Indians really want a safe car or we want a light-fuel efficient car? Coz you can have only one of them unless car manufacturers switch to 7076 Alluminium alloy for structures.

Lift a bonnet or a fender or a bumper of a european car & a Japanese or korean & you know which one will be safe-r in a crash! But most people don't want that... they're more concerned "Kitna degi!" than "kitni safe hai!!"

What we require is to make people aware of the risks they're getting into when they buy a substandard car. So when people will start walking into the dealerships & also ask "So how safe is this car?, what is India-Saftey rating/ NCAP rating for adults & children?" That is when not only these guys will start testing but also build quality cars. If the same would be in Europe people will simply not even ask to see the car.

It's easy to blame ministers and lobby but it's actually not their fault in reality. they'll make what sells, and they'll lobby to simply sell more and make selling easier. People need to change first, no regulations etc is going to help, it'll only increase corruption coz the demand will still be for a light-weight economical cheap car which then the manufacturer will window-dress & passoff by doling out some cash.

Following this news imagine if those who've booked KWID/ Scorpio & Eon actually goahead & cancel their bookings and say that "unless proven safe even in basic testing, they're not buying this car & will look elsewhere"..... tell me will then it not affect the manufacturer mentality or will it still need a regulation in place to actually change things at the manufacturer end?

I've been to France, USA & Singapore & believe me the Hyundai & Maruti Cars there feel totally different... Not only becase these countries have crash-test laws but an average european/ american & singy will not even touch a car which is unsafe. And that is what makes the regulation stronger & less of a mode for corruption.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  4. carl_jhonson

carl_jhonson Amatore

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Turbothinghy, gpunto75 and prabhjot like this.
  5. gpunto75

gpunto75 Amatore

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Except some, no one will be serious on this, in India at least. We like lighter vehicle which can pass through trucks and trolleys with the limited space available in traffic.
    And 1 star vehicles are best Sellers here. We take star ratings other way round.
    As casualties can be given a 1000 reasons, with the last reason being structural integrity, companies won't be worried.
    While Renault will look for Kwids number to rise up to 15000 per month, hope Honda will garner a good number on mobilio. ;-)