1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Glow plug warning

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by jimmy, Sep 11, 2010.

1. pradman

pradman Novizio

Chennai
    Got a Glow plug warning this morning. This is the fourth time I have got it in the last 1 year or so. Hopefully it is not a plug that I replaced recently. This got me thinking if this warning appears for some folks sooner than others due to driving habits. Today morning, my car came to a halt just as the light turned green on a traffic signal. The A/C was running as well as the ICE. I turned off the ignition without turning off the AC or the ICE. Immediately I noticed the glow plug warning. I don't do this often but wonder if that triggered the glow plug to short. My battery is fairly new (just over a year old). Have others had such an issue?
  2. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I hope you won't have anymore glow plug issues pradman as there are four glow plugs in our engine. And probably you have replaced all if it was not for a repetitive failure of the same plug. I have replaced three of mine and still one more to go. My frist two glow plugs got replaced only some 3 months back and now the third one got kaput. I have clocked 38k+ by now. By the way how many KMs you have covered? original Glow plugs should last more than 30k KMs.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  3. pradman

pradman Novizio

Chennai
    I bought the car when it had done 42K kilometers. Not sure how many times plugs were changed before that. I too have my fingers crossed hoping this is the last one.
  4. Manoj Kumar

Manoj Kumar Timido

Trivandrum
    :evil: Just about a week ago I have replaced two glow plugs under extended warranty after it been showned an error in meter console.... The very next day the error msg was popped up again. So when I made a call to the adviser he adviced me tt each cylinder have a glow plug , at first 2 of them were complaint so u have received the msg and came to know abt this issue and we replaced those too, so by this time the other two may be got ruptured. Please bring the car once again and they assured me that they will replace those.
    Does this glow plug will affect the long run of the vehicle.????? Please advice.
  5. dhinakaranselvaraj

dhinakaranselvaraj Novizio

Chennai
    My punto Active MJD recently didn't get start at first attempt (mostly in the early morning). It requires 2 or more attempt to get started. When I went to FASS they scanned and confirmed no error codes found. Today I went to my trusted Mechanic and he confirmed that this is due to one of the glowplug might have faulted. Further, he replaced the 4 glow plugs and now it is getting started at the attempt and the glow plug warning light is keep on flashing. Earlier no glow plug warning light observed.

Any idea what is the reason behind this ?
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I guess that the glow plugs were not faulty. I say this because I have replaced 4 glow plugs in last 4 years. The Check Glow Plug warning light is 100% accurate and there is minimal chance of an error not getting registered. Moreover, the new glow plugs seem to be of different specs or at least one of them has failed for sure if there is a warning light.

wrt the car not starting at first attempt in the morning, how old is your Punto? Is there any aftermarket electrical accessory like stereo or lights or HID kit etc? It could be a fault in the battery also.
    2 people like this.
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Seems like low quality glow plugs were put in your car whose resistance is different from OEM plugs hence the warning light. When it comes to glow plugs there only two quality manufacturers in India Beru and Bosch.
    As per your profile you live in Chennai if its true you car should start at first attempt even if all four plugs were faulty.
  8. cooltaurean

cooltaurean Amatore

Mumbai
    i was driven nuts by my mjd glow plug issue for a long time. every few months, the lamp would come up and it would say replace glow plugs. i made 2-3 trips to the replace 2 out of 4 glow plugs. everytime the labor charge hd to be paid despite of warranty and extended warranty. And these were the days when TATA and FIAT broke the service arrangement and the only FASS was Balaji in Ghodbunder Thane. i stay in Andheri so going to Balaji was not practical all the time. Finally i got tired of this and showed my car to a local mechanic. He said that this was very common and that i need to replace all 4 glow plugs in order to fix this for good. I decided to go for it and asked him to replace all the plugs. its been a year now and the issue has not come back. so.... good riddance.
    @dhinakaranselvaraj, the lamp will not go away on its own. you need to take it to the FASS and get the error code reset. they will connect their tool and reset it. if the issue is fixed the lamp wont come back on. hope this helps.
    1 person likes this.
  9. dhinakaranselvaraj

dhinakaranselvaraj Novizio

Chennai
    Thanks all for your quick responses.

The problem got resolved now. Battery is the culprit..
  10. santanu_punto

santanu_punto Timido

Pune
    Check Glow Plugs Warning

Hi,

There is an warning being displayed, "Check Glow Plugs"..:confused::confused: Not able to understand what is the exact issue. Can anybody advice me...

Regards..
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014