1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Glow plug warning

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by jimmy, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Gurji.... small doubt

In petrol engines when spark plug conks off, there is missing plus white smoke from exhaust since one cylinder wont be working but the same thing does not happen in diesel engines, why so???
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. prihir

prihir Amatore

Jamnagar
    @ gurjinder
    Thank you.
    Yes, start in morning easy without any problem. I was doubt about shorted one of them. But can't judge it, now after your comment it was clear.

Tomorrow I will go to TASC and check it.

BR.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Because the beauty of the diesel engine lies in its independence from the spark plug.

It does not need a spark plug for igniting the fuel-air mixture. It relies on the extreme pressure inside the combustion chamber to ignite the fuel-air mix when it is compressed by the piston going upwards. That is why diesel engines are also called compression ignition engines.

Glow plugs are there just to enable an easier starting in the mornings. Because diesels need some temperature inside the cylinder to ignite the mixture that much easily.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  4. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    Well romi i won't be able to ans. your question 100% but first thing i would like to tell you from your above question is, our Diesel cars don't have spark plugs. Instead of that copression takes place in DI engines. So as you asked about missing symptoms in DI engine is due to absence of spark plug. Fuel in cylinder is ignited with the help of compression, so no spark plug is needed in this process.
    Gurus correct me if im wrong.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

oh boy! gurujindar clicked ''post reply'' before me! Hehe...anyway it means im not wrong. What i said above is right.

5. Thanks Tron.... :)

Thanks Gurji.. means that glow plugs needed only for starting and even if glow plugs are shorted or anything like that car will still behave normally.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Ignition by compression takes place both in DI and IDI diesel engines. The only difference between these two is how the fuel is injected into the cylinder. :)

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Like i said, Common Rail engines dont really need glow plugs as badly as the older engines do.

But more than one shorted glow plugs can lead to a slightly difficult starting in the mornings. Also, the glow plugs are on for a certain amount of time even after the engine has started (to reduce emissions), so that can also be affected if the plugs are shot.
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Why does it dies so often in our Fiat cars? me too had "check glow plug" issue after free checkup camp. is it so vulnerable or is it normal with all crdi engines ?
  8. Jayadev... NO OFFENCE MEANT but I dont agree with that (in bold).. my car has completed 2 years in Sept and I never faced problems (Touchwood) with glow plug till date.
  9. prihir

prihir Amatore

Jamnagar
    @jaydev. i also not agree with WHY FIAT ?
    Search on Google and see there is also come this issue in other Di cars.
    @ gurjinder
    As I knew glow plugs mainly help us on cold weather, am I right ? as you say engine need some heat before start.

hiren
  10. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    A glow plug is not much critical thing in a diesel engine. chances of abuse or misuse are rare to impossible,yet it dies off. that is where I am surprised .and that too in a new generation cars.