1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Glow plug warning

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by jimmy, Sep 11, 2010.

1. ganesh.g1982

ganesh.g1982 Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Team, Mine is 1.3 MJD Active version/2011 model. It had an accident and the major parts replaced are steering rack and shock (LHS). After a month, I received the car however I started noticing glow plug warning for a around 30 seconds after starting the car and then disappear. I took the car again to FASS and they said 3 glow plugs are damaged. They replaced two of them. They did not replace the 3rd one because they are afraid if it will break due to rusting. I had to go Bangalore on the same day hence they did not take any risk. They told it can be replaced later but if it breaks then engine head to be removed and it is major work.

I need all your help to understand:

1. Do 3 glow plugs together go out?
    2. Currently 3 of them working, still warning is there. Is this a problem I need to immediately address? I drive from Bangalore to Kerala, will this create any problem for starting if the car is stopped (engine off) while taking halts?
    3. FASS mentioned that there is rust and they are afraid it will break if they try to replace. Is this part/s prone to rusting? Is it a quality issue or normal as the car is about 5 years?
    4. During the accident work, will there be any chance that more voltage is passed to the glow plugs? They had replaced fog lamps, headlamps, side indicators etc. Will any of these work could lead to such case?
    5. In worst case, if the Engine head has to be opened, as the car is now out of warranty, however rusting seems to be a quality issue, will this be taken care by FIAT?

I heard from FASS that there is process to close the engine head back and is expensive.

Looking for your feedback,

Ganesh
  2. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    glow plugs has life...mine started going kaput from 85000 kms...I have changed all of them
  3. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Below are my inputs for your query:
    1. Do 3 glow plugs together go out? - Is very much possible.
    2. Currently 3 of them working, still warning is there. Is this a problem I need to immediately address? I drive from Bangalore to Kerala, will this create any problem for starting if the car is stopped (engine off) while taking halts? - Well it is issue for sure but not to get alarmed about it, your engine will not be efficient.
    3. FASS mentioned that there is rust and they are afraid it will break if they try to replace. Is this part/s prone to rusting? Is it a quality issue or normal as the car is about 5 years?- Yes spark / glow plugs are prone to rust, it's a common thing, - Definitely as this is a common problem mechanics are trained for such a issue, if FASS is not helpful, you can try taking it outside, say, Sri Sai Automobiles we have good reviews from other forum members speaking good about the skill of the Auto garage, you might want to dig in more in TFi forum to check for the name and location and also be sure you go with a new spare glow plug.
    4. During the accident work, will there be any chance that more voltage is passed to the glow plugs? They had replaced fog lamps, headlamps, side indicators etc. Will any of these work could lead to such case? No not at all possible.
    5. In worst case, if the Engine head has to be opened, as the car is now out of warranty, however rusting seems to be a quality issue, will this be taken care by FIAT? - Yes if the Glow plug isn't removed correctly you would have to open the head and un-screw it from inside, cost would include labour, 1 glow plug and gasket, however we can easily avoid that if it is removed correctly.
  4. NirmalNK

NirmalNK Timido

Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hello Everybody,

This is Nirmal from Mumbai. Been constantly active on this platform for readonly purpose till now.
    Today I managed to purchase a second hand 2011 make Linea mjd emotion.
    Purchased from a known source. But after getting the vehicle home there's an error of glow plug coming everytime I start. It lasts for 10 sec and disappears. How serious is this problem as I have been reading that it could be the beginning of a Pandora box.

Could you'll Pl suggest what to do next. Also if any guys in this platform are from Mumbai then could you'll Pl suggest where to good check up.

I stay in Santacruz West. Hope I haven't made any wrong decision. As its my hard earned money and most importantly it's a decision made against my family members.

Pl drop in your suggestions guys. As I am a newbie to Fiat. Though driving a Santro since last 12 years.

Thanks,
    Nirmal
  5. Nikhil Kalantre

Nikhil Kalantre Timido

Pune, India
    @NirmalNK - Welcome to FIAT world!

About glow plug, don't worry much. Its a common error that most of the cars get after certain life/ running.

First try to understand, glow-plug is nothing but a heating device used to aid starting diesel engines. Also after the engine is cranked – they will continue to cycle to reduce the amount of start-up emissions. This helps reduce the smoke that most diesel engines produce when being cranked on cold mornings.

Here is the link http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/glow-plug-1-3-mjd-linea.html

You can order from here. You basically need 4 GPs per engine, but do check if one or multiple GPs are blown out...
  6. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Congrats on the Fiat. Fantastic car !
    How many kms on the odo?
    I faced this problem at about 85,000kms, when 2 of the 4 glow plugs went kaput.
    Replaced them and now fine.
  7. NirmalNK

NirmalNK Timido

Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @Nikhil Kalantre
    Thanks so much for the help and clarification.
    Will check the link and see how to go about it. Also there's one R. S. Motors. Visited there today. They seem very knowledgeable. Told me not to worry. Can Do It later.

The Driver side Sun visor came of today. Will driving it just came off..

Thanks once again.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
  8. NirmalNK

NirmalNK Timido

Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @limraj.
    Thanks brother.
    It's 25k. 2011 model. Will get it opened then only come to know how many are alive or dead. Will keep on posting.

Thanks.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
  9. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The momentary 1-20 secs Glow of the plug ( blinking of coil symbol on the speedo board) with a slight delay in cranking could also be due too bad battery. I had the problem of "check Engine warning light Glow & blink for 10-20 seconds after the engine is up and running. Got sorted after i replaced the battery...better get the battery checked once before you proceed to get the plugs replaced.