1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Glow plug warning

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by jimmy, Sep 11, 2010.

1. prihir

prihir Amatore

Jamnagar
    Right,
    Company recommended change All Four plugs.
  2. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    I am running with glow plug warning for around a year. Should I be worried of any impact due to this light? I assume that for our climate glow plugs are not necessary.
  3. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello Jimmy,
    Could you please guide as to what exactly this "erasing of the error code is". Can a regular mechanic at Fiat service station do it or is it some complicated electronic mumbo-jumbo. How long does it take and how much do they charge you for rectifying it.
    Your feedback would be very helpful.
  4. Abhinav Sharma

Abhinav Sharma Novizio

Nagpur
    Nagpur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi to all

Today morning i got check glow plugs error but after start, pop up was gone. But i am noticing some small jerk/s when i accelerate vehicle specially on first or second gear, it feels like problem in fuel supply OR power. Is glow plug problem related with such jerks?
    And also is there anything serious and should visit service team.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is glow plug problem related with such jerks?
    Nopes, glow plug is nothing to do with the jerks.Nothing serious.
  6. Abhinav Sharma

Abhinav Sharma Novizio

Nagpur
    Nagpur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Ganges

In team-bhp i read that there is one individual glow plug for each cylinder if one stop working so same cylinder will stop producing power and engine run on remaining nos. of cylinder. Is it true??
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Seems some unintentional misinformation. It will only hesitate at startup. Engine will work well as far as intake exhaust valves are in shape and the injectors are spraying at perfect time in perfect pattern with accurate pressure.
    rajks likes this.
  8. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Hmmm. The post might have been on 'Spark Plug' and not 'Glow plug' :p

Glow Plug helps to heat up the cylinder, especially during cold starts. Diesel engines do not use Spark plug assistance , so relies only on compression to produce the explosion. In very cold temperatures, heating helps the explosion in turn, helps the car start quickly .. Once the engine is on. the Heating is not required.

So, yeah My mjd has its glow plug warning since 2 years now. I have not bothered to change it yet. Yes, it will show up a warning on the engine and The CEL might show up. But there will be no change in the engine power and performance.
    rajks likes this.
  9. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Even I had the same problem with my Punto. The glow plug warning showed up every morning for the last 2 months. Wanted to ignore it, but the warning message was too nagging and kept reminding me that something was wrong. Took it to Vecto motors and got it replaced under extended warranty. 2 of these plugs had gone bad, got both replaced. Each plug costs around 1k, I believe.
    True, glow plugs shouldn't be a cause of concern, but they were designed and placed in the cylinders for some reason and maybe, just maybe - it could harm the engine on the long run. This thought made me to finally get it changed. :)
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Glow plugs not working is a serious concern for non-crdi engines and engines that are chilled at minus temperatures where ignition temperature is challenged in combustion chamber. Due to canbus feedback we are reminded when they loose their strength to glow and heat the chambers. So although technically they might look redundant at times they assist the diesel fuel to ignite and reduce the load on starters and battery at startup. Rest is taken care by the compression-ignition cycle.
    rajks likes this.