1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Getting the ICE going

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by torq04, Feb 28, 2011.

1. torq04

torq04 Timido

Gurgaon
    Well well well I've had my GP Mjet emotion for a little over 3 months and have fallen in love with it for its innumerable qualities. However the one sore point had been the absolutely incompetent OEM ICE package.

Though am no audiophile but i still wanted to have a decent ICE in my car within the constraints of my budget. After going through the various posts in this thread the urge just got stronger and I kept looking around for something which could satiate my need for a better sound. While looking for whatever things I wanted I was clear that I didn't want to change my OEM HU ( Well maybe a little later ... ::V ). My requirementsthat i could gauge from what i read here were as follows:
    • Components at the front
      Coaxials at the back
      4 channel amp
      Bass tube / woofer ( still have to audition one)
      Door damping ( In case of a tube or a woofer in the boot do i need to get the damping done for the boot too)
      Wiring

Was getting impatient about the wait and one fine day while i was out looking for a device to add aux in or usb functionality to my HU i chanced upon this nice store called Batra car accessories on Old Delhi Gurgaon road . Auditioned a few speakers and finally chose kicker for front as well as back. I've picked up kicker D600 coaxials for the back and a Kicker D600.2 components for the front. Have left the rest of the stuff for the coming month to keep it easy on the pocket.
    Need suggestions from all veterans here, got about 15 grands more to spend.
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Install your components and co-axials into car, get tuned and configured. Play it with HU before you decide to go for next round of investments.
    HU is a capable unit, only the speakers where poor performer.
  3. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Get an Amp & Dampning done first. That should really spruce up things. The stock HU isn't very good in driving the component speakers. I've a similar set-up with 600.2 upfront and morel's at the rear. I'm going to get an Amp installed tomorrow and will provide you the feedback on how much difference an amp is going to make. I did hear to a set-up with the amp with stock HU with Focal speakers and the musicality was up there. If you like the bass to be nice and low get a sub as well. I would recommend you spend a wee more than 15K and you should be satisfied.

Amp - 7.5 K
    Sub - 5K
    Dampning - 5K
    Wiring - 2 - 3K
    Install - 1 K
  4. torq04

torq04 Timido

Gurgaon
    @ Viny , Teky thanks a ton!

Well maybe the sub can wait till April then, will definitely get the damping, wiring and amp done in March. by the way which amp should I go for?? Would the Sony 4 channel amp that retails for 5k or thereabouts be any good??
  5. torq04

torq04 Timido

Gurgaon
    @Teky - any updates dude? Hws the effect post the amp
  6. torq04

torq04 Timido

Gurgaon
    Whoa 85 views and almost no replies, come on guys someone needs to breathe some fresh air in this thread.
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Sorry Torq4, got busy with few things. I'm yet to complete my review but I had installed a Focal amp and MTX Sub, I'm very much happy with the way it sounds. I'm yet to get thr damping done, so I believe it will certainly improve. The kickers were so bright without the amp. After installing the amp it's sounding perfect with the tuning. But just the amp and front components doesn't bring a great deal, the sub actually completes the music package. I would heartily recommend Auditor/Focal and a decent sub. Get the dampening done at a later date when budget permits.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Bro, damping isn't that costly is it ? front two doors would cost 3K odd, I got mine done and it has made a world of a difference to the front components output !
    How many amps did you audition, before u bought Focal and for how much ?
  9. torq04

torq04 Timido

Gurgaon
    Ok so i am going the whole hog

Kicker DS 600.2 Components - front ( already installed )
    Kicker DS 600 coaxials - back ( already installed )
    JBL GT5 S64 4 channel amp
    still confused between an sub and a tube :confused
    Scoche - wire spiltter ( donno if this is what its called )
    Dynamat damping for front doors only
    I am real tempted to change the head unit too however retaining the one dash look is preventing me from doing it.

Need suggestions.