1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Getting continuous 'ssshhh' sound near the diesel tank

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by RedPoint, Sep 23, 2013.

1. RedPoint

RedPoint Amatore

Its been so exciting since the vehicles delivery. Have done 710 kms from Friday evening. I car is just one week old.
    Still under the temp registration. Yet to get registered and the formalities are going on.

Having said that, I have got the below issue. Hope you guys could assist me in this.

On saturday morning, when I start the car I got some strange 'Ssshhhh' sound I can hear under the rear wheels (hope sound is near the diesel tank and could not locate exactly) :confused:. When put the key in and tried to put in MAR position there was a sharp 'grrr' sound which stops immediately after 2 to 3 secs. And then When I tried to crank the engine and after it starts then there is the 'sssshhhh' sounds and is more evident for a bare ears and it is continue to be there till now. The sound is like releasing air from a puntured tyre. :eek:

I was bit worried and called the Ramkay service center for the first opinion.(remember I am 450 kms away from chennai). They asked me for any leakage at diesel tank and I replied no. I told them that I am taking it to the nearest town just to diagnosis prob? They said it is ok but dont try to fix anything there. I agreed and taken the car to the nearest sound.

As per the local mechanic, he said the sound is coming from the diesel pump and it is not an issue. I asked them is it safe to move the vehicle further(becas my nearest FASS is Salem OR coimbatore which is at least 80-100 away). They told me it is fine but dont try to push it hard or cross 70-80 kmph until you get it verified at the FASS.)

I am also getting the 'Check number plate light' message. I could spot that one of the rear number plate light is not working. Need to get it rectified during the visit to FASS.

My registration is likely to happen this week or early next week. hence I left my vehicle at my home town and back to Chennai today morning.
    If there is a problem in the fuel pump, is it safe to take the car to Coimbatore or Salem OR should I request a tow (may a be a flat bed tow truck) it till there. I am worried :(
  2. teky

teky Esperto

The mechanic was right it's the fuel pump priming.

Please search through the forums this has been documented.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

As soon as you turn to MAR, it's the priming of the fuel pump/injectors. It should happen ideally.

The hissing sound is from the fuel pump on the tank side. It is absolutely normal and present only in the 75HP Puntos.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Regarding the sound that comes when you put the key at MAR, that is perfectly normal. It is probably the pump in the fuel tank priming the system. Do not worry about this.

The second sound that you mention is hard to gauge anything about unless actually listening to it in person. If the car is driving fine, just drive it back and to remove all doubts get it checked at FASS, whichever is nearer.

5. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

This comes up in Linea as well.
    I can hear it at times.
    Once i thought i had a puncture but it was the sound of the fuel pump.
  6. RedPoint

RedPoint Amatore

Thank you Aadhi, my concern here is the sound is not disappearing and continue to be there till the engine shuts down. Is it normal? does the sound goes off after sometime? Sorry if I m asking too many questions. Because the sound was more evident when I stand near the rear right side door.

Thanks Gurjinder. You may be correct. Someone has to hear in person to get it sorted. The drive is absolutely fine. I have to take it to the nearest (80 kms) FASS once my car get registered.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    For your piece of mind, just get it checked at True Sai Motorss in Salem while you drive back to Chennai. They are very good.
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

It is absolutely normal. Happens in our 18k kms run Punto as well. It would sound like a slight pressure leak. Save your visit to FASS, they are going to say the same to you as well.

I will try posting a video if the noise is captured.
  9. RedPoint

RedPoint Amatore

Exactly the same feel. Thank god, I am getting some peace of mind.

@ Ramesh, thanks for your valid suggesstion.
  10. nishweth

nishweth Amatore

Even my linea has got the same sound