1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Getting better Efficiency out of the car.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by pronoy_banerjee, Oct 30, 2013.

1. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Note to Mods: I searched the thread for the topic that I want to discuss about, but could not find anything to the point. If you do, kindly merge in the appropriate thread.

With Fuel costs rising by every month, getting a good mileage has become a concern even for diesel car owners.

In my experience with my Punto 1.3 of nearly 20K Kms, I have noticed different ways the car behaved under different driving techniques.

Lets Consider a Highway scenario with light and smooth traffic and minimal slowdowns and the car to be a 1.3MJD FGT with A/c turned off.
    Case 1. I can be extremely gentle on the throttle keeping the revs below 2K RPM and get the gauge to show me mileage in excess of 25.
    Case 2. I can stay in the turbo band of 2K+ rpm and shift around 2.8K-3K RPM on each gear.

What I have experienced
    Case 1: The Mileage shown on the MID is higher but the actual mileage is pretty low.
    Case 2: The Mileage shown on the MID is lower that case 1, but the actual mileage is pretty good.

This totally changes when driving in the city owning to the multiple stop and go situation so I am not considering it here for now.
    For a fact, the On-Board mileage calculator is not very precise. If I want to, I can easily get the gauge to show mileage in excess of 25 by adjusting my driving technique.
    The question here is, which is really a better way to drive?

My Thought
    Case 2 makes use of the Turbo which theoretically should give a better mileage compared to case 1 when the Turbo is not used at all.

I want to know your thoughts on the same, so we can get better insights on how to extract more miles out of the car.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My car has done 24k and according to me the mileage that i calculated manually and as shown by MID are almost equal.
  3. vipinpradeep

vipinpradeep Amatore

for me too the mileage shown on the MID and i calculated manually was almost same..i meant the 'average fuel consumption'..BTW anyone know much about instantaneous consumption..how to analyze it..coz the digits are varying instantaneously and it may show 30 or 30+kmpl..
  4. Once you go beyond 2500 RPM,milage will go down on sutained open throttle.
  5. moksh

moksh Regolare

Linea 1.3
    Milage shows perfect on screen and i have personally calculated manually ....both were same :)
  6. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

So what would be a better way to drive as far as efficiency is concerned? staying in the Turbo range or below it and using it just for fun driving?
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  7. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    IMHO 80-90 km/h speed keeps Punto in turbo zone at approx. 2200 rpm and FE 24 km/l. This is relaxed driving which does not tire one on long trips. Staying in the range of 60-80 with light foot can give 30 also which I experimented only once.
    MID reading of average fuel consumption are 100% matching with actual fillings of diesel in my case too.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  8. Viny

Viny Esperto

Use Ecodrive, that will help you to improve your mileage, it will tell you where are going wrong like high acceleration in certain gear, wrong gear change or improper deceleration etc etc.
    pronoy_banerjee likes this.
  9. mahesh.bandel

mahesh.bandel Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    I opine keeping the car at 2000-2500 RPM and average speeds in the range of 70-90 can pump out the best possible mileage. And Pronoy knows what 'Best' I'm talking about. ;)
  10. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Well I do agree that driving @ 80-100 with RPMS between 2K - 2.5 K gives the best mileage. But using tank full method I usually see that the average consumption shown in the MID is usually 0.5 - 1 km more than the actual calculated mileage