1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Getting a new music system/speakers.

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by Pramit, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Visited Parijath today, and all I can say is this is one place in Trivandrum which has someone with a good knowledge of how stuffs work.
    I went asking for Polk components. The sales guy showed me some stuffs and when it came to the price he went upstairs to talk to his Business Head regarding discounts. The BH called me upstairs and asked me the general kind of music I hear and my future upgrade plans. He advised me not to go for Polk for my kind of usage and he recommended Hertz (remember, Parijath is the Polk distributer in Kerala) which he said is capable of giving comparatively better power output for our inbuilt HU without an amp. He is of the opinion that an amp is required to extract the full capability of Polk which I am not going to use either. His recommendation for my kind of usage was:
    1. Hertz 5" or 6" components for fronts - 5000 - 5500/-
    2. Hertz Coaxials for rear - 2500/-
    3. 2 channel Amp (Sony) + 8" subwoofer - 7500/- (He felt 12" sub woofer is required only for buses or tempos or the max in Innovas)

15000/- for the entire setup, which I felt was something easier on the pocket and meets my requirements, so far so good, let see.
    Any idea if the prices are fine or are very low which mean fakes?
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Guys is it required to fit an amp if you are fitting component spekers. One of the salesperson told me that if you want punch in your music system then you have to fit the amp. What to do? :confused

Sony Xplod Component speaker with 2 channel amp costing aroung Rs. 8800. Is it ok to spend this much amount. That guy also gave me another option of the Oval shaped speaker with higher wattage. He said that fit those speakers in Parcel tray you will get the effect without the amp. It will be cheaper than the 1st option. :A

One more question is that what is difference between component speakers & the oval speaker. As per my observation oval speaker has high wattage than the components. ::pP

Thanks in Advance.
  3. jiji

jiji Amatore

Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India, India
    Trivandrum
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Pran.Firstly i don t know were Parijath is!!! Then into speakers, Polk Audio are good but not good enough when compared with Hertz. Could you quote the model numbers of the Hertz components cos when i checked the price range you are describing are not worth hearing. ESK 165 these are the ones i m planning to buy, these cost retail 8500/-.
    And please go for the components in the rear, because in front you already have the built in tweeter from the OE HU. Hertz co axials cost around 3000/-.
    The amplifier Sony hmm...i m not a big fan buy Sony if you only have a dried out wallet.hehe. i only know the price of JBL bass tubes 12 inch 5000, Hertz sub.woofer 8 inch 6000. Too much costly?? Well i think it s worth spending once you hear these things you will surely buy it!!!
    And last but not least the OE HU does not have AUX L R out. So if you connect an amplifier it will be ON all the time, you ll have to fit an extra switch to switch off the amp. It also doesn t have REM out, so you will always hear a humming sound when you switch on, believe me i tried this and got fed up and threw the OE HU out!!!
  4. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kedarbendre : Good components will give better results with an amp where the HU is not capable of driving the highly rated speakers.
    @Jiji : Parijath is at left on the way from Ullor to Kochullor, they have stock of almost all brands and moreover for Hertz they have components from 4" which I felt is safe since they can easily run back to the store and get the ones that fit our door. ESK or DSK 165 is what I was shown and the 5k - 5.5k is after a discount of 15% from MRP (which most people gives) but what impressed me most is the knowledge he had, the attitude and new stocks in the shelf. Rarely we get a customer friendly shop in Trivandrum. :A
  5. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    HERTZ - DSK165 and HERTZ - DCX165 now sits comfortably in my machine !!
    HERTZ - DSK165 Components sits at the front and HERTZ - DCX165 Co-Axials sits at the rear. No red alerts or alarms here, 6.5 inches goes in easily into our doors using spacers. Wire cutting - yes for the front and rear. Hertz has a different connection jack, so the technician stripped the original wire (didn't cut though :lol: ) and connected the new one for Hetrz. Muscle used - yes, for cutting out an enclosure of the speaker on the rear door pad which was surrounding the original (Made in Italy :lol:) 4". Tweeter didn't get into the default slot so grinding and cutting off some plastic enclosure of the tweeter was done. I was tense till the door pads were closed + all windows were brought down to confirm that nothing touches the speakers.

Result : The music now doesnt stop flat at the speakers, it travels all the way to my ears to put some pressure on my ear drums, exactly what I was looking for. A sub is required for the music to start hitting my heart, but thats altogether another segment which is part of my future upgrade plans. So far the sounds crystal clear and with enough punch. Read somewhere there is a run-in period for speakers too :anyone , anyways I cant wait for that.

Expense break down:
    HERTZ - DSK165 - 5100/-
    HERTZ - DCX165 - 2500/-
    Spacers 4 - 600/- (too expensive !! )
    Total = 8200/-
    Gave 8000/- to settle the bill and 200/- to the technician who took proper care of my car and placed everything back properly.

Now more reasons to spend still more time in my GP ! :redcar :up
  6. Girish

Girish

Bengaluru
    Hi Guys,
    I am also looking at changing my speakers as it has started giving me a headache while driving long distance... i have the emotion pack top end.
    Still looking at the right version?
    Whether only speakers can be changed? if yes which speakers ?

Pran : is your system Blaupunkt with the Blue & me? did u change u'r system?
    Please advice ....

Awaiting u'r response...

Cheers
    Girish
  7. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mine HU is Blaupunkt without B&M in Emotion. I have maintained my HU and I chose the speakers which gives max output without the support of an amp based on advice from a very knowledgeable person at the shop and he was damn right ! I was on the lookout for Polk which according to him gives better sound quality only if an amp is used along with it.
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    @ Girish & Pran.

Today I put Oval speaker in my Punto. I put Alpine Oval Speaker max output 300 watts & RMS 90 watts. I went to the Poona Garage at Camp Pune.
    Mr. Anup Chavan was so coopeative. He recommanded me speakers as per my choice. I was missing bass effect in my music system so he suggested me to go for Oval Speaker & not for the components & I dont have any problem if the speakers mounted on Parcel Tray. People over there was very professional. I will recomment the Poona Garage in Pune for Speakers installation. With installation it cost me Rs.5000.

I was fed up with Stock speakers. :sadblue

I had 3 option one was Blaupunkt second was Sony Xplod & third was JBL. When I saw the alpine oval speakers, I was so excited because I was searching Alpine Speaker like anything.
    I forgot all three option & went for Alpine. Believe me its fantastic. I agreed that Alpine is bit costly but its worth to spend money on Alpine. I got one year warranty with those speakers. :dance
  9. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kedarbendre : Congrats !! anyday ovals are better, I personally was against the speakers sitting on the parcel tray, just cant compromise on the stock looks except for alloys and tyres. AFAIK the HU may be having a max output of 50w, so I am not sure if you are utilizing the full power of the speakers. Lets wait for some expert advice on this. Till then enjoy the music to the fullest possible !!

To be frank a good set of speakers is absolutely necessary to enjoy the beauty of our beast to the max.
  10. Girish

Girish

Bengaluru
    Thanks Pran & Kedarbendre,
    Well i need the parcel ttray and cannot think of oval speakers ... I just want the quality of sound i mentioned earlier about the headache thus i asked Pran for his set up. Well now i think i must just go blindly for the HERTZ speakers mounted on the four doors...

I plan to do the Instalation @ KHT motors itself. not with the any car accessory showroom... coz as u explained there is grinding and some muscle work which i think.... i rather be safe then be sorry...
    Thanks for your inputs it really matters to be part of this group...
    cheers
    Girish